Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wisdom Comes at 12:01 on my 30th

30

Today I am 30 years old, as in three sets of decades, or six sets of half decades. I just woke up and boy do I feel wise. I feel so wise in fact that I should probably share some of the wisdom I have gathered in my 30 years of rotating on this planet. Here are some things that I have learned...

  1. Family is my number one priority.
  2. It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  3. No matter how adorable mice are, no matter how much you may want to rescue them, they do not make the best animal companions (sorry Robespierre and Danton, but you were kind of mean mice).
  4. Being married to the right person is amazing!
  5. My adopted mantra (given by Michael Copeland who is well on his way to guru status) is "You are here and it is now."
  6. Having a relationship with nature is integral to my mental health.
  7. Creativity brings joy.
  8. Being a mother is so much more rewarding than I could have anticipated.
  9. I am awkward on the phone. I don't know about you, but I am weird on the phone all uncomfortable silences and accidental interruptions. I think it is important to be aware of my weaknesses. If you happen to call me and think "Man, that was a weird phone call," it was almost certainly my fault.
  10. College is a smidge overrated. Don't panic, it's still important, but not really as important as it seems when one is 20.
  11. Being vegan is pretty awesome.
  12. I have had both long hair and extremely short hair and my verdict is that long hair is by far the easiest to maintain. Short hair is all about regular trims and fretting over bedhead (how to get it if you want it/how not to get it if you don't want it).
  13. Dental hygiene is really important. Let's just say hygiene in general, dental or otherwise.
  14. They say that you can do anything if you try. I find this to be mostly true (although I don't think that any amount of effort will give me the ability to breathe exclusively through my skin or drink water through my hair, etc.). What they don't tell you is that you may have to try really really hard for a very long time.
  15. One can learn to bake. I thought I would never be able to bake and here I am a regular baking lady.
  16. Fresh breath does make a difference. That may be a hint...
  17. Vegan lasagna is perhaps the best food ever. Ever!
  18. Everybody is totally weird. No exceptions.
  19. Listening is so important.
  20. Chewing with your mouth closed is so important.
  21. Having faith is so important.
  22. Finding a way to be physically strong and healthy is really a gift to yourself.
  23. Giving compliments freely makes me feel so much better about who I am and how I fit in the world.
  24. Accepting compliments graciously is sometimes a challenge, but it is ridiculous to brush off the kindness of another.
  25. Eric is awesome!
  26. I once heard that having a child is like having your heart live outside of your chest for the rest of your life. I find this to be a little too true.
  27. My parents are good people.
  28. Actually my family is filled with amazing people.
  29. Whistling at wild birds and extending your finger as a perch does not mean that birds will come, sadly.
  30. Turning 30 is easy.
Are you 30? What wisdom do you have to share?

16 comments:

Susan S said...

Aah my beautiful and now WISE daughter... I love you and am so very grateful you were born to us!

Momma CupKate said...

I love number 8 best. I once read that children make a woman into a mother, but I think I was always a momma; I just had to wait for my babies to introduce me to my (better) self. Happy birthday and kindest regards from my family to yours!

rainblissed said...

Happy 30th! I LOVED turning 30 and the following 5-6 years were the BEST. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. As always, it is a pleasure to read :-). Have an excellent day!

Siren Mary said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday!

moonmother said...

I turn 32 this year and never has life been more real. Loving T.J. so much sometimes scares the willies out of me but we have been together 14 years. I just never thought I could love somebody this much. My children turn 14 and 12 this year, that makes me realize how young I was when I had them. I thought I was so grown up, little did I know. The only thing about turning 30 I didn't like was the gray hairs that came. I don't like those at all :)I really could go on and on about the joys of being in my 30's but I'll leave it at this. Happy Birthday Maria! Have a fabulous, wonderful, exciting, emotional, and full of hugs and kisses birthday!

On my way Home... said...

Happy Birthday!

Emily said...

1. A kind word or a hug can turn a rotten day around.
2. Letting go of what others think about you is incredibly freeing.
3. There is no such thing as too many snuggles from your children.
4. Simple things sometimes bring the most pleasure.
5. Date nights with my husband are vital.
Those are just a few anyway....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Kathryn Ashcroft said...

Happy birthday Maria! (The one about having a child and the heart made me cry) xxxx

Pam Brewer said...

I'm awkard on the phone as well! Texting is a life saver for me. I hate calling people--seems like the conversations frequently get misunderstood. I admire those who can yakkety-yak on the phone--not me! Happy Birthday---

Tammie said...

happy birthday!!!

and congrats on the house by the way. ( i know i havent commented much lately, but ive been here.)

the dwellers said...

Hippity, Hoppity, Happity Birthday to you Maria! :)

singlemama said...

ooooohhh!
I'm so sorry I missed your birthday!!!!

Can I send you all my wishes even if I'm late?

I wish you all the best. :-)

PS: I'd like to share this with you. I'm sure you'll like it :-)

http://singlemamafranny.blogspot.com/2011/04/giro-giro-semi-ring-ring-seeds.html

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

Happy birthday! I hope when I am 30 I have gleaned some of this wisdom as well. I hope you had a wonderful day and lots of cake!

affectioknit said...

Happy Birthday!

AKM said...

Yep, I don't care for phone calls, either! Maybe it's because I'm such a visual person and I like to read texts and emails and such. :-)

I have to admit that I found turning 30 to be hard. Now 35? That was a good one, because I've learned a LOT in those five years, actually. Age is just a number anyway, right? ;-)

Allen said...

Happy Birthday --from the old man that follows your blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...