Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kindness Bandit: Natural Neighbors

kb

When I move to a new place I like to be neighborly. I thought that I would start with our closest neighbors, those of the animal kingdom. I heard that the woman who lived here before us (for the past 30 years) has been a feeder to the birds and squirrels. I read up on feeding birds and it seems that bird feeders do not interfere with a bird's ability to forage for their own food. I have no idea about squirrels and their abilities (you may recall my feelings about squirrels- aka nature's devil). So it is with a clear conscience that I set out to be neighborly to the animals with whom I share a space.

We've put up a hummingbird feeder, a regular bird feeder and a little bird house.

bird feeder 2

bird feeder1

bird house

Cordelia has been looking out the windows,waiting for our feathered friends (not so much the squirrels) to come and sample the goodies!

8 comments:

Emily said...

We always had bird feeders in our backyard growing up. My mom and I would make the sugary water for the hummingbird feeder. She so enjoyed seeing those amazing little feathered friends buzzing by for a quick sip.

Stacy said...

Just for that, the squirrels are gonna LOVE you. Looks great!

Susan S said...

Keep looking, Cordelia! They WILL come!

GINA BIBER said...

I like your hummingbird feeder. :- )

Cheers,
Gina

http://ginabiber.blogspot.com/

Daphne said...

They will soon come and reward you with sweet little chirps! It's easy to get addicted to backyard birding.

elizabeth said...

love seeing the pictures of your backyard festivities from the past week. :)

i got some strawberry plants for mothers day as well . . .

i'm looking forward to planting them - maybe tomorrow.

kirsten said...

That last bird house is adorable.

Victoria said...

I have two new Finch feeders and a great iPhone app called "Peterson's Field Guide to Feeder Birds" and I am having a ball identifying birds! The app has every bird's song and lets you log and tally your sightings!! Hummingbird feeders go up this weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...