Friday, May 6, 2011

Motherhood

I was at the store earlier this week and I spotted a mother and her two children. She had a boy who was about 7 and an infant girl. I saw the infant girl was filthy, beyond filthy, covered in some gross mess from an earlier snack. I looked at the mother and thought, "How can you let your little baby be this filthy?" Then I took a closer look at this mother. She was being so tender with her children, filthy or not. I don't really know the whole story, but I can tell you that it was a lesson for me. I watched in silence as this woman was so kind with her babies and thought about motherhood.

I was reminded, once again, of the first lesson of motherhood---you gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes that means you just have to let go of worrying about what others may think and you just let those noses run, or let that filth cake on.

So I go into this mother's day weekend feeling thankful that there are plenty of other mothers who appreciate their little babies and treat them with that gentle mothering touch, the one that they will remember for the whole of their lives.

Mom


5 comments:

Tammie said...

this is such a good post maria rose.

frankly, i think the world needs more mothers withholding immediate judgement from one another. life is tough, and being a good mother in this life is even tougher. we need all the support we can get, even if its just support of the silent type.

Momma CupKate said...

I think we all need these reminders.

Susan S said...

You are such a tender, loving mom to Miss C!

sophie said...

I hear you! My constant reminder to myself is NOT TO JUDGE! And I want to so bad, but you are right, you can only do what you can do and we are all just doing our best - some days are harder than others.

AKM said...

Great reminder. What's that saying..."be kinder than necessary, because everyone is fighting some kind of battle"? I try really hard to always remember that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...