Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Project: Sparking Her Imagination

Eric and I often talk about how important it is to have a magical childhood, one of wonder and mystery. A childhood that is full of possibility and fun is what we want to give our girl.We want Cordelia's imagination to be constantly inspired (ours too). We have lots of ideas on how to facilitate that process (not that she wouldn't do it on her own). One idea has been percolating for a while.

So, yesterday afternoon we took a trip to the local craft store in search of a small door like something for a dollhouse. We found some, but they just didn't fit the bill; we had a vision. Finally we found ourselves in the unfinished wood projects section and we spotted a small door that we could finish off.

iunpainted
Here we have the unpainted door. Originally it had a couple of steps leading up to it, but Eric sawed them off so that it could sit properly against our wall above the trim.

painted
I painted the door a light blue with white trim. I made the bricks three shades of red: dark, medium and light.

inspecting
We searched for the perfect place to put the door. We wanted somewhere unexpected that would pique Cordelia's imagination. We settled on a spot in the upstairs hallway.

knocking
The door is already a success. She regularly knocks to see if anyone is home.

approved
Then she asks me to open the door for her.

What do you do to spark the imagination of the little ones in your life?

13 comments:

affectioknit said...

I love that little blue door!

E.K. said...

When she knocked on the door and said, "open" I could see her little imagination running wild.

Stacy said...

How cute and fun! I hope you all have fun coming up with stories about that door.

Kate said...

Stealing this idea. And I pinned it on pinterest.com (don't worry- they always give credit.)

Emily said...

What a GREAT idea! I love it!

kirsten said...

That is so funny, I might just have to do that!

rainblissed said...

Brilliant as always! Well done!

Susan S said...

I like that she gets dressed up and wears a pretty hat to go visiting!

Carmen said...

That's great :)

Rachel said...

such a wonderful idea!! i love it!!!

sara said...

how cute! she looks so curious. great idea.

jackson is in the stage of asking "what's that?" constantly. sometimes i tell him what a thing is, and other times i ask him "what do YOU think it is?" i love seeing how their minds work and how they always want to find out more about the world around them.

sophie said...

what a perfect idea! I ask Lu or Eva to tell me a story - I just have to make sure I have half an hour spare to listen to it!!

langsam leben said...

What a cute idea! I would have loved something like this as a child.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...