Saturday, May 28, 2011

Something About It...

tree

Once upon a time Eric and I swore we would NEVER live in Wyoming. I think it was shortly after some guy yelled at us to go back to Colorado as we were trying to rescue a stray dog. Or maybe after a visit during the winter when the wind slams the cold air straight through your being and into your very soul. I am not sure when we said it, but I remember that we were driving out of the state having the discussion and we both eagerly agreed that we could never/would never live in a crazy state like Wyoming.

Before my parents moved here I only knew it for my extended family, the year that my father did an internship here, and the Me and My Veggies book (author from WY), and for the rumor that on windy days toilet water in the basements was known to move.

Of course I don't exactly recall our reasons for having said that, but we almost certainly sealed our fate. We are now residents of Wyoming. We have been living her for just over 2 years and I must admit there is something about it that has grown on me.

Perhaps it is the wild characters. Maybe it's the unapologetic attitudes (good and bad). I tend to think of Wyoming as a place for real individuals, not the "individuals" that normal people know, but the kind of folk who live in the mountain and eat bark while wearing loincloths and talking on their cell phones about how they cried during the last episode of Oprah's show(OK I don't actually know of anyone like this, but you get the idea).

I think more than likely it is the wild quality that the state has, untamed. Wyoming is a bit like bedhead, it's sometimes a little embarrassing---but it is also kind of awesome. The trees and plants have to be tough, the animals and people committed to living here. I can't quite put my finger on it yet but there is definitely something about it...

4 comments:

Kathryn Ashcroft said...

Stunning image! Wow! I really enjoyed this post, it was a little insight into where you live. I have never been to the US (although would love to one day) and it was lovely to read about your little corner in this way xx

Susan S said...

Ha! I never thought of comparing Wyoming to bedhead! Nice post, though. It's true, Wyoming is not like any other state.

Stacy said...

It's great that it has become such a warm, just right home!

Kate said...

How did I miss this post? This book: http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Just-Way-Wyoming-Stories/dp/1416571663 always reminds me of Wyoming, (not that I've been) because one of the stories was in an edition of "The New Yorker". Like many of her stories, it was brutal, morbid, and yet believable. I read it aloud to a friend with home I and my SONshine were spending the weekend. She's from Russia, and she listened t about half the story, then stopped me and asked if the author is insane? Then she suggested some Russian literature. I've always thought fondly of Wyoming.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...