Friday, May 27, 2011

Thirteen Again

IMG_5644

A few years ago I did something drastic. I cut myself some bangs. Since then I have been back and forth---should I grow them or should I keep them?

I have a memory of being in junior high of growing out my bangs. I was all limbs and feet still having a child sized torso. I wore a lot of my father's old farm shirts. I rarely felt cool. I think the term I am looking for is painfully awkward. My half grown out bangs were really just the cherry on top.

Now it is time to revisit my glory days and grow out my bangs. I have reached the point of no return. My bangs are pushed to the side or pinned up in a little retro bouffant, but somewhere in there is still an awkward young girl and I really love her. I am so thankful that I had such a vulnerable phase, that I fell all the time (OK I still do that), that I said the wrong things at the wrong times, that I laughed until I cried, that I deeply related to embarrassing lyrics, that I wore cartoon t-shirts,that I felt so misunderstood. I cherish that period of my life.

What were you like at 13?

9 comments:

Kate said...

I'm wishy-washy about my bangs, also. Right now they're pushed-to-the-side-long because it's better to have LONG bangs for a couple weeks than to impulsively chop 'em and realize you didn't Really want them. I like my hair extremely short with bangs when I'm thin, but alas, I'm far from thin right now, so I'm thinking long and sleek might be better.
Evidently, I still stress about my hair as I did at 13. Have you seen that movie? "13" Written by one of the actresses and it's about her life. It's good. Makes you want to keep your daughter under lock and key, but it's good.

Stacy said...

Ahh, 13. I was awkward as well.... all bangs and discomfort with who I was. Good luck with the bang growing.

Maria Rose said...

I know about the movie 13 and I think I probably shouldn't watch it.

I have seen 13 going on 30 and that is fantastic...

Emily said...

Thirteen was painful for me too. Big, poofy bangs were quite the rage and I couldn't get mine to stay high enough to look cool. I sprayed the heck out of them, but alas, they always drooped. Terrible. Throw in braces and acne and I think you get the picture. :)

Kate said...

I chuckled at the 13 going on 30, lol. I enjoyed it also, much to my surprise.

Susan S said...

Well, you must've got that awkward stuff from Dad because I am pretty sure I was t-o-t-a-l-l-y cool! Pretty sure.

capn' Keys said...

I was a tall chunky thirteen year old who wore a sailor hat.
I want to cringe when I see photos of that time...but I feel I need to be kinder to myself.
I think back than I was looking for a style...and I remember that hat made me feel good when I rode my green Schwinn 10-speed. It was crisp and white and I felt a little like I could be part of Prince and the Revolution.
Loved your post.
I still like my bangs, 5 years and counting.....and I grow them out for a bit of a change.

Voom Voom Veda said...

I was a tall chunky thirteen year old who wore a sailor hat.
I want to cringe when I see photos of that time...but I feel I need to be kinder to myself.
I think back than I was looking for a style...and I remember that hat made me feel good when I rode my green Schwinn 10-speed. It was crisp and white and I felt a little like I could be part of Prince and the Revolution.
Loved your post.
I still like my bangs, 5 years and counting.....and I grow them out for a bit of a change.

Voom Voom Veda said...

I was a tall chunky thirteen year old who wore a sailor hat.
I want to cringe when I see photos of that time...but I feel I need to be kinder to myself.
I think back than I was looking for a style...and I remember that hat made me feel good when I rode my green Schwinn 10-speed. It was crisp and white and I felt a little like I could be part of Prince and the Revolution.
Loved your post.
I still like my bangs, 5 years and counting.....and I grow them out for a bit of a change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...