Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dinner: Something From Nothing

Dinner was hanging over my head for most of the day. I had nothing planned. I didn't even have bread for sandwiches and by the time I thought to make bread it was already late in the day. Our fridge and cupboards were mostly empty and I was WAY to lazy to bother going to the store. So around 5pm I walked into the kitchen on a mission. I had to create something remotely nourishing for dinner. I eyed the 3/4 empty bag of chips and realized that it would in no way feed the three of us. Onto the cupboards and freezer. I began to gather potential ingredients:
  • 1/3 of a bag of mixed frozen veggies for a stir fry
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 3/4 package extra firm tofu
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 onion
  • 4 baby carrots
  • 1 c. rice
  • turmeric, garlic powder, curry powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cinnamon
I can work with this I thought. So I cubed the tofu and cooked it in a skillet with a smidge of oil until the tofu was golden. Next I chopped and cooked the onion in the skillet until transluscent. I added the coconut milk and about 1/4-1/2 tsp. of all of the spices (not scientific)and about 2 tsp. of curry powder and a tiny pinch of the crushed red pepper (I am the only spicy heat lover here). I tossed in the bag-o-veggies and sliced the carrots and last I added the garbanzo beans. I simmered over medium-low heat until the flavors had blended and the carrot was cooked through.
Meanwhile I cooked the rice, adding a pinch of turmeric to flavor and color the rice.

When I was done I was pretty pleased with myself so I decided to put the rice into a rounded bowl to create a cool mould and then I arrange the curry around it. Ta da something from nothing!

last minute curry

curry

While I was on a roll I decided that I could probably come up with something for dessert. So, I made some vegan snicker-doodle cookies. I have been trying to find a type of cookie that Eric will love. Believe it or not the man doesn't like chocolate...so when the chocolate chips all disappear in 3 days I really can't blame any of it on him. So now I can say, "Man the cookies are all gone Eric must have had too many."

snickerdoodle and soy milk
Vegan snicker-doodle cookies with soy milk


Are you a master of pulling together a meal from nothing?

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

Oh my - that looks delicious...I think I need to make curry tonight...

Tammie said...

oh that looks delicious. i love curries and i LOVE anything with coconut milk. it makes everything taste better.

Maria Rose said...

Tammie, so true coconut milk makes everything better!

Emily said...

I agree about coconut milk! And I think you did a fantastic job from "nothing"! :)\

sophie said...

you are a clever lass! I get into that frenzy too at 5pm but my creations never look as good as that!!

kirsten said...

That looks yummy, I love curry :)

singlemama said...

your something for nothing must have been really delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...