Monday, June 27, 2011

Special Delivery: Awesome Awesomeness

Eric was at band practice one evening this weekend. Cordelia and I were having a quiet pre-bedtime wind down. She had just finished a bath and I had her wrapped up in a frog towel. I was about to put some pajamas on her when there was a knock at the door. I wasn't expecting anyone so I looked through the peep hole to see none other that John, Eric's boss.

I opened the door and spotted his beautiful tweenage (yes I used that term) daughter Bella and a boy I didn't recognize (later learned that he was a friend). "Come on in," I said as I made sure Cordelia was modestly wrapped in her frog towel. She looked up and me questioningly from her little burrow of green terry cloth.

John said he'd come bearing gifts. He jogged back down our front steps as I sprayed a very excited Bumblebee with the squirt bottle (keeps her from jumping and knocking people over). Then I spotted it, all orange and white. I smiled when I saw it! YES!

IMG_6406

IMG_6410

IMG_6405

A beautiful orange chair, not a Saarinen, but cool none-the-less. Apparently it had spent many years cast away, relegated to the playhouse. Bella couldn't believe I would have any interest in such an old thing, but I was beyond thrilled.

We will need to re-do the chair, but that's a small price to pay for coolness. I looked into doing it myself, but I think this is beyond the realm of my skill level. So I shall defer to the professionals. Next time you see me I may look like this...

Tulip-chair-futuristic

Now all I need/want is this...
1273400663-80954500

I really just want my dining room to look like this...
Mid-century modern white + turquoise: Saarinen Tulip table + chairs + wood floors, by Wary Meyers
Photo from here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8230585@N06/3194114091/

Are you a nut about mid-century like I am?

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

I love it!...and I am a nut about 60s furnishings...

AKM said...

I really like the mid-century look, too, but I'm not very good about finding pieces or putting the look together. Style, both personal and in my home, seems to elude me. ;-)

Emily said...

YESSSS! I love it. I really like the orange, but it would look great done in any color. When we see you next month, I think you need to show up in that space age outfit. And talk in a robot voice.

Maria Rose said...

AKM-I started grabbing mid-century design and decorating books and used that as a foundation!

Emily, I was really hoping that I could impress your kids with my futuristic wardrobe and robot voice, thanks for the green light!

Nicole Justice-Kleemann said...

Wow, how cool! Very jealous!

elizabeth said...

i love the way you decorate . . . my house is very different, but i love the look of yours - that's one reason i love this lovley blog-land - all the eye-candy, and inspiration. and what a very cool chair! . . . and a super sweet little chair model ;)

Nina said...

I have some midcentury modern furniture from my grandfather. my sister is a crazy thrift store shopping midcentury modern furniture fiend. those chairs bring back this memory, I was on a mission where we went and ate at different people's homes everynight. my companion was over 300 lb at the time and I'm not a tiny person either. they had those chairs. we sat in them. I went to pull mine in and she pulled hers in squishing my hand between them. since you are visiting and supposedly representing Christ you don't want to scream out or curse... Iwas all ow ow ow please get up ow please please PLEASE...and she finally moved. I had a big dent in my hand for over a day and a bruise for a while. they are NOT flexible in ANYWAY! do not like those chairs due to that. :) guess its a funny memory now but then...I was just not happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...