Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mothering

Now before we get rolling here let me have a little disclaimer... I am no kind of mothering expert. Good, now that we have that cleared up let's move on shall we?

Me and C-60s style

I have been a mother for only a few short years (we're counting time in utero here too---because I just want to up my experience), but there are a few things that I have learned that work for me. I thought I would share a few of those things and then hopefully you will share what you have learned and together we will become throbbing brains of maternal intelligence...or something.

1) When Cordelia wipes out I don't immediately react. I have discovered that she definitely feeds on my reaction. If she is really hurt I am there in a heartbeat, but I really hold in my gasps and safety dives until I see whether or not they really are necessary. Usually she just gets up and goes on with her business.

2) Kids, babies, toddlers, are a lot more intelligent than we give them credit for. My mother taught me this. So I let my daughter guide me. I show her things that I think are at the edge of her ability and every single time she astounds me with her eagerness to learn and her ability to grow. Now I'd like to say that she is some kind of child whiz, but I really think she is just a normal kid--- most of us underestimate the abilities of normal.

3) Each day my daughter gives me the opportunity to be a better person and it is my job to rise to the occasion. Some days I am more successful than others.

4) It is OK to go at my daughter's pace. I don't need to keep up with or get ahead of other mothers. My daughter is who matters. If she wants to potty train early then great. If she takes her time to grow in other areas that is cool too.

5) Being a parent is hilarious and it is my job to bear witness, sometimes write it down, and always encourage her to find the humor and joys in life.

What do you know about mothering?


P.S. Check this out. Singlemama is doing a Pay It Forward idea and I love the idea!

4 comments:

Nicole Justice-Kleemann said...

Amen sister! Yes, on all fronts. Mothering is an organic journey. It changes as we and our kids change. That's what I love about it best.

Susan S said...

I have never witnessed better mothering than what I see from you. You have great instinct!

Roxee said...

You do a very good job at being a parent and I laud you for that!

Maria Rose said...

Thank you Roxee!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...