Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trip to North Carolina: Travel Day

Hello. We just returned last night from a long weekend in North Carolina. My brother Ben and his wife Sara, along with their animals are all living in North Carolina. We decided to end our summer travels with some air travel.

Our trip began on Thursday afternoon in Wyoming. Eric got out of work a bit early. We dropped Bumblebee off to stay with my parents and we drove down to Denver. Our town does have a small airport but it is often significantly cheaper to fly out of Denver. So we got to the city just in time for dinner at WATERCOURSE. I ate a bowl of tomato coconut curry soup, mashed potatoes and gravy, and (yes there is still more) a Donna Lee---a wrap with yummy seitan. I was completely stuffed by the time we left, it was awesome.

We went to our hotel near the airport and called it a night. The following morning we made our way to DIA (Denver International Airport).

DIA
Inside Denver International Airport
I was the lucky one to get selected for a random screening. My hands tested positive for some mystery substance. I ended up in the private area getting a very personal pat down. I will never put on hand lotion before a flight again!

Anyway, a small setback, but we were left with plenty of time to catch our flight, Cordelia's first flight.

E and C
Entertaining Cordelia before the flight

We boarded our first flight as parents. We found ourselves toting a bag full of toddler entertainment and gate-checking a car seat. We had no idea what to expect from our girl. We had 4 flights in just a few days.

sleepy girl
Looking out the window while headed to Atlanta (Smogville)

She did so well! No cries, no whining. She was amazing! She looked out the window, napped, watched videos, played with toys. We looked around at the other parents who were struggling and felt a mixture of sympathy and just a smidgen of smugness.

the fam
On the plane


plane view

Cordy and I
Cordelia and I on the flight from Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham Airport

We landed at the Raleigh-Durham Airport around dinner time. Ben picked us up, looking as handsome as ever. It was so good to see him. Sara was back at their place preparing us a feast!

We drove through the trees. North Carolina, at least where we were, was heavily wooded and fairly hilly. We got to their cute place, it felt like we were in the middle of the forest, though we were right in Chapel Hill. We greeted Sara and the animals. Their pooch Jrake (as in J RAKE) was so funny and sweet with Cordelia who can be a bit intense with her animal affection.

After dinner we all took a short walk though the forest. Jrake ran in literal circles around Cordelia who was laughing hysterically.

Jrake running circles
Jrake and Cordelia

Shot
Jrake as a blur and Cordelia


We walked and talked. We listened to the cicadas and looked for frogs and blue lizards. The air was humid, but not hot, a beautiful end to a travel day.
Ben, Sara and I
Ben, Sara and I

Walking in NC
Have you ever been to North Carolina?

7 comments:

rainblissed said...

Mmmm...watercourse! So happy the flight went well and that you had a nice visit :-)

Kate Ware said...

What lovely pictures, Maria!! I especially love the one of Jrake as a blur! TOO cute! Never been to NC -- Mike has family in West VA, I'd love to go there sometime. Everything is so green and wooded -- not the wide open spaces we're used to out here.

affectioknit said...

I'm FROM North Carolina...and just got back from a little visit there as well...I wish I had known you were going...we've lived in Raleigh (I taught Latin there for 5 years) and in Chapel Hill - I went to grad school there...needless to say I love/love/love NC and your post is making me a little bit homesick...

Have a lovely day!

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

Great pictures! So glad the little one enjoyed the plane - it can go either way, that's for sure! I've been to South Carolina - and it looks like North Carolina is just as beautiful!

pambrewer said...

I've been to Virginia and was amazed at the woodedness. Did not expect that.

Kate said...

I've often flown into and from DIA. Once SONshine was chosen for the screening {he was 2 and the guards wanted to strip search him AWAY from me!!!} Not cool. Glad you made the A-list. I've found traveling with children is worse because of other people, not so much my babes. Glad yours was uneventful!

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

Wow, looks like you guys had quite the eventful trip! I love NC! My brother went to school there at Warren Wilson so I went with him when he was dropped off. It is such a beautiful state.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...