Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Project: Jewelry Organization

Every time I go to downsize I do so well...until I get to jewelry. You see I don't have a ton of jewelry or anything, but the pieces that I do have were almost all gifts and they are all used and treasured. I have whittled down the overly sentimental/unusable items,even getting rid of a plastic yellow ring given to me in 2nd grade by my first boyfriend, Eric (not my Eric).

I am left with several pieces that I try to keep organized and accessible. I have tried many different methods, but I can never stick to ridiculous systems. I like to take jewelry off and toss it aside. I don't want to wrap it in velvet and carry it down to a vault.

Here are a couple of ways that I have come up with to store my jewelry and still keep it easily accessible.

Jewelry Tree
jewelry tree

I made this jewelry tree to hold everything (rings, necklaces, earrings, jewelry, bracelets), the only thing it doesn't really hold are post earrings (see below for another option).

close up4

To make your own jewelry tree you will need:
  • Container. I used a glass vase, but you can do what you like.
  • Rice. You could also use dried beans, sand, stones, etc.
  • Sticks. Choose ones with lots of branches.
  • Paint and brushes
Paint your sticks. While they are drying fill your vase with your rice or whatever you chose. When the sticks are dry poke them into the rice (or whatever) and arrange them to your liking. Add jewelry and you are done.

closeup2

close up1

closeup3

Egg Tray
I am vegan which means that I don't eat eggs (among other things) and until recently the egg tray in my refrigerator was about as useful to me as a pair of chaps. Then one day, the clouds parted and a beam of light shot down from the heavens and onto the empty egg tray; I had an epiphany. I could use this egg tray for jewelry storage.

Egg tray

I just toss in my earrings or rings and they are nicely separated and stored. A miracle? Perhaps.

Do you have any storage/organization tips to share?

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Great idea! Fortunately I have all the jewelry fixtures from my former gift shop and am I glad I kept them as I have jewelry for days!! Thanks for the reminder to get in there and sort and toss!

Roxee said...

My house is still a mess, so who knows where all my jewelry is thee days... BUT if and when my house is organized, I will create a padded drawer with small and large compartments for my jewelry. My mom has one already built into her new dresser. I will copy that style and add it to my clean house blog.

Linda said...

Love your idea... Made me want to do the same, but to try and make a concrete block to put the branches in... That's what I'll do next time there's some wet concrete around!

And your egg tray reminded me of this one, which I'm wanting... http://www.anthropologie.eu/en/europe/kitchen-accessories/farmers-egg-crate/invt/7542402420098/

Nicole Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous idea! I need to do that as well!

Susan S said...

You are such a clever girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...