Friday, October 7, 2011

Arborist Nightmare

I could hear the wind all night long, blowing in waves over our house. I heard the occasional screech of metal on metal as our neighbor's shed moved with the fluid waves of air, rolling down the mountain, through the foothills and onward towards the plains. I slept soundly under a small mountain of blankets until just before the sun rose when I woke in the half-light. I lay there listening to the sounds that had been blowing their way into my subconscious. Occasionally the gentle hum of the heater would chime in, the domesticated cousin of the wind storm.

pool and leaves

Our purple pool was pulled loose from its home. I could see it in my mind's eye as a the wind picked it up and flung it across our backyard amidst a new carpet of fallen leaves. When I went to let Bumblebee out for her morning constitutional she looked up at me as if to ask, "What happened out here?" There were leaves and branches everywhere, an arborist nightmare.

wind in trees

The seasonal shift isn't occurring without a violent struggle. Leaves are being pulled from their branches and tossed into the air, flying far from their home. Birds struggle against unforgiving currents of air and reconsider their original plan to rest here in Wyoming for a few months before heading south.

When the winds come to Wyoming I am learning that they will stay until April. So I am settling into this new season of living inside, being under one roof instead of long days in the backyard. I have a cup of hot tea at my ready. I am excited to begin a new season in our first home. What are you looking forward to as the seasons change?

tea

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

Really windy here too...so glad it wasn't this way for our backpacking trip!...

Have a lovely weekend!

Roxee said...

Wearing my new coat, mitts and hat!

Emily said...

Fall still hasn't arrived here. A few leaves have started to turn, but not many. We are all still in short sleeves and the air conditioner is still going. I am ready for the change of seasons though. Bring on Autumn!

Kirsten said...

I know what I am not looking forward too....shoveling snow! HAHAHA
I like the purple pool picture. Something eerie about it.

Victoria said...

I am loving the cooler weather after so much heat this summer. Every cool morning is a wonderful surprise. I am getting my favorite cowl neck sweater a good "launder" this weekend!

Pam Brewer said...

I like to cook and it's more fun when it's not so warm outside. Hot food tastes better in cool weather!

On my way Home... said...

haha! our purple pool left us today in the wind! my first thought when i saw your picture was "that's where you went!"
I am looking forward to slowing down a bit... I've been pushing really hard to get projects done outside. Looking forward to retreating to my new crafting table area, playing more with the kiddos, and trying new recipes and ways of cooking around here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...