Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bowling...or Something

I married a bowler. Eric loves to bowl. He calls himself Dragonslayer, his bowling ball is named Monster (etched in the side of the ball for good measure), he carries his own shoes. He actually uses the little air dryer for his hands. His ball is even balanced to give it a spin. It's crazy.

bowling 2

Eric did not marry a bowler. He tried to teach me. He really did. For a few years I tried to learn, but it wasn't my thing. So, now we have reached a sort of agreement. He bowls and I don't. If I do bowl...well, he's stopped trying to correct. OK, truthfully he will still sometimes say, "You know you should really move your hip to the side rather than swing your arm around it." My response is to smile as my ball slowly rolls down the gutter, praying that it makes it to the end. Either that or I hang my head in shame as the ball hits with a loud thunk halfway down the lane before pirouetting into the gutter, perhaps tickling a pin on its way.

bowling

On Sunday we went to a bowling party. I walked up to the desk and requested my giant clown shoes. I have big feet and these shoes don't do me any favors. We got our lane. The lights turned down. Black lights flooded the alley and last year's top 20hits started blasting loudly. I wasn't too keen on the scene, but I was rather thankful that there would be a distraction from my bowling.

We started bowling. Out of our little group there were 3 children ages 12, 5, and 2---myself and one other adult. I walked up to the lane. I don't do the running approach. I tossed my ball down the lane, toward the pins. I hit a few, but mostly it was pretty pathetic. I assumed that I could beat the kids. I was wrong. I was beaten by everyone. My grand total was 57. Cordelia bowled a 93. Instead of getting frustrated I just went with it. People high fived me when I did hit a pin or two. Jaws dropped when I got a spare towards the end. It was just silly and fun.

I didn't really care, in fact I think it's pretty fun/funny. I enjoyed watching the pre-teens "break dance" and watching everyone have a good time, bowling was just a distraction. Eric, well, he wasn't exactly proud, but at least he can laugh at his wife with the weird bowling technique.

Can you bowl?

9 comments:

Kate W. said...

I can halfway bowl. Nothing great, but I've gotten a strike or two. Tried a bowling league for a few years -- practice makes perfect, right? Mmmm, not so much. Mostly made for a few tense moments in the marriage when my hubbs decided to give me bowling advice a little to much and often! LOL! Have to ask -- were you at Sunrise? My nephew was there. Looks like fun! (And btw, if you got to use the ramp and bumpers like I'm assuming Cordy did, you'd have beaten her for sure!)

Kate said...

A} I had tiny-teeny feet until my first pregnancy {I'm 5'7" and my feet were size 6} then they leapt into the big foot category. With my second child {and the extra 50lbs I'm currently carrying} my feet have their own gravitational pull. Sigh.

B} I am wretched at bowling and am kinda proud of it. Might as well own it, right? My Mister is not a bowler, but he did try to teach me to golf once. Let's just say I'm not terribly athletic. The next time I bowl, I'll remember this post and dare to be my awful self as I cheerfully lose.

Roxanne said...

Yes, I bowl just like you! What's wrong with that? LOL

Victoria said...

Oh! When we visit, we MUST go bowling!!! My whole family bowls, my mother's average is 245!!!

Carmen said...

I think Cordelia's score is better than anything I've ever got as well! Nate loves to bowl, I try, and enjoy it, but my score never totals much - lol. We have yet to take our kids. Sounds like it might be a fun adventure!

Emily said...

I love to bowl, but I am not any good. I think it is fun to go with other people who are not taking it seriously either. And who are willing to put up with my bad technique! :)

Maria Rose said...

Kate W. yep we were at Sunrise.

Kate (with no W.) My feet are size 12...never think you have large feet again.

Kate said...

I laughed so hard at your reply. Seriously hard. Milk came out of my nose and I wasn't even drinking milk.

Maria Rose said...

We all laugh at my feet. They are a great ice breaker, literally----they're great for stomping.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...