Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Morning

It is Monday morning and the house is quiet, save the gentle hum of the heater which is blowing air down on me like a warm breeze. My toes, with their pitiful efforts at circulation, are still cold. When I complain about cold feet Eric suggests that I put socks on. My argument to that end is that if you put a sock on a cold pipe it will just be a cold pipe with a sock on it. So I am just practicing the foot warming technique of alternate foot sitting as I type.

Last night I slept well. I awoke only once in the night to strange sounds, but then realized that it was one of the cats clawing away on the furniture. I have half a mind to buy only plastic and metal furniture. Anyway, in the night I heard the familiar sound of couch fabric being shredded and I called out, "Here kitty kitty." You see I have learned that the psssssst of a fake hiss only seems to encourage them. When they hear the psst they seem to scratch with renewed enthusiasm, as though they are being cheered on or something. Calling out "kitty kitty" makes them think I have food for them and they come running, but by the time they reached me last night I was already sleeping again. Jokes on them...and me because the couch is starting to look a little rough.

When I woke up this morning I was refreshed, the remnants of a strange dream were elusively slipping back into the recesses of my mind, just out of reach. I was up early enough that I had some time to lay in bed and read for a bit. A short while later I was greeted by a happy little girl whose curls, if that's what we are calling them this morning, were standing straight up in the air. She smiled beneath her tangled halo of bedhead and said, "Hello momma Dragon...roar" I roared back. We started in on the morning routine. Breakfast was toast, fruit, juice and cereal. She has decided to refuse the green portion of her multi-colored cereal--- knowingly she proclaimed, "That's yucky Momma!"

bite my pillow

I am now surveying the landscape and I can see that a little housecleaning is in order. I have some projects lined up over the next couple of weeks and I suppose I had better get to work on them. I also have to post an online test for my students this morning. Mostly I am just kind of wandering about in a Monday morning fog, unwilling to commit to anything. I think perhaps the best plan is to have some vegan hot chocolate to clear my head...then we'll see where this day takes me.

7 comments:

Roxee said...

What a wonderful morning! Cordelia doesn't like the green cereal, that's cute! Maybe in her mind it's broccoli and shouldn't be for breakfast? I had a mediocre Monday morning and hope that this week will get brighter as the days go by.....

Kate said...

I was so sure that by raising my son vegetarian he'd eat vegetables easily. HA! Around age 2 he became suspicious of any foods that weren't beige. (Oatmeal, mashed potatoes, tortillas, etc seemed to be his favourites.) Now, thankfully, he's more adventurous, but not like he was as a burgeoning eater!

elizabeth said...

miss c's hair is AWESOME!
our monday morning is rolling right along - in a good way. :)
love to hear your bits. thanks for always popping in here.

p.s. i love it that my gram's blouse still get worn - and looks so awesome on you! :)

Emily said...

It is raining and gloomy outside here, but we need the rain, so I guess I should feel happy for the trees and flowers. Inside, I too am in a fog...laundry, reading, etc. Where to start? Too bad we can't sit and drink hot chocolate together today!

Victoria said...

Yes...a good morning for cocoa and mind-clearing...;)

singlemama said...

you'll probably hate me, but I love Cordelia's hair... :-)

Maria Rose said...

No, we love her crazy hair...the brushing it out part, not so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...