Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mothering

Yesterday afternoon Cordelia was afflicted with a strange and mysterious allergic reaction to something as of yet unidentified. She had hives. She got sick (on me). She just needed her mother. I held my poor little sick girl in my arms (after I cleaned up), offering the only thing I could while we waited to hear back from the pediatrician. I kissed her sweet head and looked into those sick eyes and held her tightly as we snuggled together. She folded her little body into my arms and pressed herself into me for comfort.

Sweet girl

Times like those are mothering moments. Sure, the daily life is where motherhood is really expressed, but those moments when my girl just needs her momma are so intense and so pure. I can't help but find myself completely overwhelmed by this gift of motherhood, of being the one who can offer the comfort that only a mother can offer. I held her tight and did all of the things that my mother had once done for me, as every loving mother does for her baby at some point or another.

on the mend

Thankfully the crisis passed quickly and before the night was over she was dancing and playing, but even then she stuck close to me, just in case.

10 comments:

affectioknit said...

Sweet! so glad she's all better!

Have a lovely day!

Clare said...

Poor girl! The hardest part of mothering for me has always been worrying about my babes when they were sick. But you are right, it is an opportunity to serve in the motherliest way. I remember a Mark Twain quote I read, that mother's worry is "both a wonder and a waste." Hope she's back to her old self today! Clare in CA

Anne Marie said...

I'm glad your little lady is feeling better! Megan used to do the getting sick and having hives thing, all to often. Most of the time we never figured out what she was reacting to. In the end, the doctor said "who knows!". She still does it sometimes. In fact, she had mystery hives just last week! We know by now to just get the benadryl on board ASAP and usually the throwing up part is avoided.

AKM said...

Poor little one! I'm glad she's feeling better now.

Maria Rose said...

For the record her dad was awesome too. When he got home he helped clean her up from the puke and gave her snuggles as well.

Kate said...

Oh no! SONshine just outgrew a horrific allergy to peanuts, and those severe reactions are awful, aren't they? Poor baby!

Emily said...

Nothing says unconditional love like cleaning up your child's puke, in my opinion. I am sure she felt so safe and secure and loved by you all yesterday, as she does everyday of her life! :)

Carmen said...

Poor thing. Glad to hear she is feeling better. It is such a wondrous gift being a Mom isn't it? :)

Susan said...

You are such an excellent mother. Cordelia is blessed to have two wonderful parents!

singlemama said...

I guess Susan is right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...