Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recipe: Vegan Breakfast Sandwich

I am not the kind of person who likes to eat the same thing for breakfast day in and day out. I like to mix it up! Today I looked at the cereal and couldn't muster up any interest. So, I decided that it was time to make breakfast sandwiches.

Here is how I made it today, though I will admit that my technique changes on any given day and is entirely dependent upon whatever ingredients I happen to have laying around. So, I guess I am saying there is a lot of wiggle room with this recipe.

Breakfast sandwich1

Ingredients
English muffins
Block of firm or extra firm tofu, drained
turmeric
garlic powder
jarred salsa
Daiya Soy Cheese
Optional***vegan bacon, vegan sausage, jam, vegan cream cheese, etc. Put whatever sounds good on the sandwich!

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 F. T
Toast your English muffins lightly

slice
Slice your tofu across the top to get the largest slab possible. Make it about 1/2 inch thick slice.

cut out
Use something (I used a cup) to cut out a round shape that is slightly smaller than the English muffin. You will have excess tofu, just save it for a breakfast scramble.

turmeric
Place the tofu circles in a lightly oiled skillet over medium high heat. Lightly dust them with a sprinkle of turmeric and a dash of garlic powder. As you flip the tofu it will spread and turn the circle yellow and distribute the flavor. Cook on both sides for about 3-5 minutes. Don't let it get crispy or else it will be tough.

salsa
I added a spoonful of jarred salsa for flavor, but you can leave that out if you like. Spread it around with your spatula and turn off your stove.

sprinkle daiya
Now it is time to assemble your sandwich. Lay out the bottom half of your English muffins onto a cookie sheet. Set the tofu circles on top. Sprinkle with Daiya vegan cheese. Add any additional toppings you like. Put the lid on and place in the oven for about 7 minutes, or until the vegan cheese melts.

Breakfast sandwich2
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yum! I like to mix breakfast up too.

Susan said...

That looks very, very yummy!

rachel.k said...

AWESOME! I always have extra tofu to use so this is perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...