Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Kindness Bandit: Winter Gear Stockpiling

kb

So the seasonal change is upon us and that means that the big box stores around town are having major sales on their winter gear. Normally this is just a good time to stock up on items in the right size for next year, but my mother had a much better idea---she decided to buy a bunch of baby winter clothes to drop off at the hospital this fall for new mothers who might be in need.

I was completely inspired and went to grab some more, only to find that the winter gear (originally priced at almost $20) was now $1! So I grabbed a ton of them.

tags

My mother and I will continue to add to our stock pile when we happen to find these kinds of bargains in the following weeks and I have no doubt that many a crocheted cap and blanket will be in the pile before we make our delivery. I will report on our final stockpile when we make the drop off at the hospital later in the year.

coats

I would love it if you joined me in copying my mother's great idea. Mittens, hats, etc. They needn't be exclusively for babies, maybe you can drop them off with a local charity, at a homeless shelter, church, soup kitchen, etc.

8 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Great idea! Buying not only for babies, but older children as well, would allow for some new coats for kids, not just used ones, when the coat drives start next fall. I think I'll have to see what's available on the sale racks around here...

Anne Marie said...

And also, another good idea might be to check with the elementary schools. I know the nurse's office at the school where I worked took donations for coats, hats, mittens, etc. These things were always appreciated and used, along with things like underwear, socks, tshirts and sweatpants.

Michelle said...

What a good idea. You and your mom have the best ideas!

Michelle said...

What a good idea. You and your mom have the best ideas!

Hannah said...

What a lovely thing to do. I've just started knitting mittens for a collection my local knitting shop does for the homeless.

Kirstens Kitchen said...

WOW that is such a nice thing to do! You are a great human :) I can't believe you can buy new clothes for $1!!!WHAT!?WHERE?

Roxanne said...

I already do this but with stuffed toys, I "win" the toys by playing those machines at the mall for $1.00 I have great fun, and the kids get toys to play with. I bring them (when I have a bunch) at a womens' shelter.

Victoria said...

Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...