Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Why?

feet

When Cordelia was just learning to talk we happened to run into some acquaintances one summer evening. These acquaintances have a boy who is about a year and a half older than our girl. His mother said, "She's talking now, but just wait there will be a day when you wondered why you ever taught her to talk." I was a bit perplexed, the statement seemed to be rather harsh coming from a woman whom I know to be a loving mother. She laughed as she said it as though it were a funny joke to her and moved on with the conversation. Still her words had an impact on me. I wondered if there would be a day when I didn't want to hear my own child speak. How could such a thing ever happen? Ever!?

Well, I am proud to report that it has not happened, but I have come to understand the joke at this point. My daughter talks all of the time. Every waking moment must be discussed, in detail, with great repetition. She has a curiosity that knows no bounds. She wants to absorb all of the information, to saturate herself in words that help her to understand. Generally I am happy to hear the inner workings of her mind. I love to know what catches her interest. I love to hear her little voice. There are admittedly times when the constant vocal barrage may get tuned out, but for the most part it is a happy and amusing part of our life.

Adding to this new phase is her desire for explanations. She has started asking "Why?" Sometimes the questions are simply answered. For instance, she will ask, "Mommy, why do I have to go to bed?" I can give her a quick and easy answer. Other times she will ask me something off the wall, something like, "Why do spiders have to be real?"----Ummmm???? Anyone?

9 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Haha, I love it! Having been there and done that, enjoy it, as I did! :o)

Carmen said...

Spiders have to be real so we don't have too many flies ;). I get "how" like "how do my emails get to my friends" and "how do caterpillars turn into butterflies inside their cocoons?". Thank goodness for Google ;)

Roxanne said...

You will have a love/hate relationship with the "why" phase Maria! Enjoy it though, because it doesn't last long enough!

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

hahha -- i love kids questions! yesterday, my little 3 1/2 year old cousin goes, (referring to our lake home that's furnished like a cabin) "why is everything made with wood?" haha it was so cute! thanks for sharing!

Bettina said...

I can't wait for this stage!

AKM said...

Ah, the "why" phase! Like Roxanne said, it can be love/hate! Hee hee! It's so terribly adorable, though, and so charming to see little ones' quests for knowledge.

(And I don't know about it not lasting, Roxanne. I STILL want to know "why?!" all the time. ;-) )

Kate said...

I've never felt that way, either I love the thoughts of my babes. I also enjoy the twists of conversations when such questions arise. Cordelia is so funny!

Tammie said...

oh the WHYS. i stopped coming up with clever come backs and became what i always said i wouldn't: someone who says, "because mommy says so." that phrase really only works for a few years so use it while you can. ;)

Visty said...

Oh, that picture of sweet baby legs in a poufy skirt reminds me of when my girls were tiny like that.

We always answer every question. I love the questions! Some of them are so funny.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...