Saturday, June 23, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Sloppy Lentils

sloppy lentils

Today I am sharing with you a recipe that has, in our home, truly humble origins. Let me share....when Eric and I were in undergrad there were some lean times and during those lean times I would assemble some crazy weird meals from whatever we had laying around. One such day I had some vegan buns, lentils, pickles and ketchup. I think that was about it and from that the sloppy lentil was born. Over the years the sloppy lentil has had several incarnations, but each time it is surprisingly satisfying.


Ingredients
  • 3/4 c. lentils, cooked in 2-2/12 c. of water, until tender
  • dash of olive oil
  • 2 Tbs. finely minced onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 6 oz. can of tomato paste
  • 1/4-1/2 c. water
  • 1/2 tsp each: chili powder and ground cumin
  • pinch of vegan sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 kosher dill pickles, chopped
***Optional: I like to add other chopped and cooked veggies ( carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, etc) to mix it up.

Directions
  • Cook your lentils and set aside
  • In a large skillet heat over medium high the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent.
  • Add the garlic.
  • Add the tomato paste, water (1/4 c. to start), chili powder and cumin. Stir until it resembles a sauce.
  • Add the lentils and mix.
  • If the sauce is too thick add more water. If you are feeling fancy you could certainly replace the water with vegetable broth.
  • Add the pinch of sugar, salt and pepper, pickles and combine. Add cooked veggies if you feel so inclined.
  • Heat through and then put heaping spoonfuls of the sloppy lentil onto a whole grain bun. Enjoy!
sloppy lentils close

4 comments:

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

oh that sounds delicious! what a meal! yum!

Roxanne said...

I bought some TVP thinking I can make some sloppy joes, but I realized I don't like TVP... so this is going in my recipe book for when I want a sloppy "anything"! Thanks Maria Rose!

Tammie said...

i love lentils and i think i would like them sloppy as well.

affectioknit said...

YUM! I love sloppy lentils!

~Have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...