Monday, August 13, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Peach Cobbler

 My friend Sarah gave me a bunch of peaches this weekend and I thought it was high time I made a cobbler. I cannot recall the last time  I made a cobbler and it turned out so goooooood.  Here is the recipe I used, making it up after studying basic non-vegan recipes I just sort of invented my own.

cobbler

Ingredients
  • 7 peaches, skinned, pitted and sliced into 1/2 in. wedges.
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 c. vegan sugar, fine
  • wisp-o-salt 
  • 7-8 Tbs cold vegan margarine(***See note in directions)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • EnerG Egg replacer for 1 egg (11/2 tsp replacer + 2 Tbs. warm water, mixed)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a bowl mix the corstarch, cinnamon, brown sugar. Add the peaches (when peeling the peaches boil them all for about 2 min, then drain and rinse with cold water to make peeling a breeze---good for tomato peeling too). Gently toss the peaches with the brown sugar mixture. Pour into the bottom of a 9x9 lightly greased baking dish.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add the cold margarine. You can pulse in a food processor or go old school and use a pastry cutter....or be lazy like me and use a fork. (***it was a warm day when I made this and my margarine was not cool for long, so it ended up more like a batter than a crust...don't panic unless you are entertaining a culinary critic, chef, or a super snob it probably won't matter). Add the vanilla and egg replacer. Mix quickly if you are working cold.
3. Spoon the dough on top of the fruit. Do not spread it around. Bake about 40 minutes or until the dough turns golden. Eat warm with vegan ice cream, or not it's yours to do with as you like.

4 comments:

affectioknit said...

YUM! I love peaches so...and cobbler!

~Have a lovely day!

Victoria said...

Brilliant recipe...and yum!

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

oh that looks lovely! cobbler is the best:) - especially peach!!

wyowolfpack said...

OOooh! That sounds amazing! I'll be getting another peck of peaches this week (and plums too!) so I will have to cobbler it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...