Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vegan Recipe: 7ish Layer Casserole

Football season is upon us and this is also the time of year where I turn into a whiny baby on Sundays. I just cannot get into football, at all. My husband likes to watch it...and the games take a small eternity to finish and I get impatient to do important things like hang out and chat or watch Parks and Rec on Netflix. I really wish I could be cool about it, but I truly believe that football is my kryptonite.

Usually the football season unfolds like this:
 STEP 1 Obnoxious Denial: I become weird and obnoxious in an attempt to humorously interfere with the experience. Last week, by the end of the game, I was making face braids (a braid in the front of your face), rolling around on the floor in agony and generally being overly dramatic and charmingly (??) obnoxious

STEP 2: Doing my own thang: I try to make my own plans. I imagine using the time to do art, to craft or to just get things done....but usually I just end up watching our offspring.

STEP 3: Submission. I finally succumb and just go with it, my spirit broken. This is the point where I do things like making football food. Until I start the cycle again...Eric loves it.

Anyway I thought I would share one of Eric's favorite vegan football foods. Hopefully you can be more mature about football than I am.

layers

Ingredients
  • 2 Whole wheat tortillas (more if you like---see directions)
  • 1 can refried black beans 
  • 1/2 c. vegan sour cream
  • 1/2 c. vegan guacamole
  • 1- 1  1/2 c. Mexican rice (if you don't have it, just add 1/4 c.salsa and 1/2 tsp. cumin to 1 c. brown rice it'll work)
  •  1 c. sauteed veggies...I like to use onions, mushrooms, yellow squash an zucchini---just use what you've got languishing in your fridge
  • 1-2 c. shredded vegan cheese, I use Daiya because it melts.
  • 1/2 c. crushed corn chips. I usually just fish out the leftovers from the bottom of the bag
  • Optional: lettuce, tomato, diced, green onion, sliced olives, etc.
Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grab a casserole dish and put your tortillas in the bottom, don't worry about a little overlap, this is just to stabilize. Glop down your beans and spread evenly. Now if you are using more tortillas you can put them between each layer, your call. Add the sour cream, rice, sauteed veggies, and guacamole in layers, feel free to make as many layers as you like. When you are satisfied with the layers add the crushed chips and sprinkle evenly with your vegan cheese. Throw it in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until your vegan cheese is melted. Slice it like lasagna and top with any of the optional elements.

Enjoy and don't let your tears of football anguish fall into the casserole. I kid.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I cannot be more mature about football. It simply isn't in me. And to make matters worse, my two favourite (grown-up) girls also love, love, love football. Alas!

Mom said...

Yikes! Does Eric even notice all that?

Sarah said...

I hate football too. The yelling at the TV, the obnoxiously loud commercials, not to mention the loooong boring game. I'm all about football food though (actually, I'm pretty much pro-food in general). Your dip sounds awesome!

Tammie said...

OH MY GOSH i hate football. jay loves it.

i really try to do #2 during football. sometimes it works, but like you, i usually just end up with the offspring. which isnt a bad thing, but sometimes i get obnoxious and am like, "why am i watching the offspring when youve been watching tv for the last 9 hours?"

elizabeth said...

thankfully my husband doesn't care to watch football anymore. and we don't have tv. so . . . the only time i'm forced to deal with it is when we spend a sunday with my parents. not so bad.

(now, if i can go to a college football game, outside, i LOVE football!)

that recipe looks yummy! i think i can gluten-free it pretty easily!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...