Usually the football season unfolds like this:
STEP 1 Obnoxious Denial: I become weird and obnoxious in an attempt to humorously interfere with the experience. Last week, by the end of the game, I was making face braids (a braid in the front of your face), rolling around on the floor in agony and generally being overly dramatic and charmingly (??) obnoxious.
STEP 2: Doing my own thang: I try to make my own plans. I imagine using the time to do art, to craft or to just get things done....but usually I just end up watching our offspring.
STEP 3: Submission. I finally succumb and just go with it, my spirit broken. This is the point where I do things like making football food. Until I start the cycle again...Eric loves it.
Anyway I thought I would share one of Eric's favorite vegan football foods. Hopefully you can be more mature about football than I am.
- 2 Whole wheat tortillas (more if you like---see directions)
- 1 can refried black beans
- 1/2 c. vegan sour cream
- 1/2 c. vegan guacamole
- 1- 1 1/2 c. Mexican rice (if you don't have it, just add 1/4 c.salsa and 1/2 tsp. cumin to 1 c. brown rice it'll work)
- 1 c. sauteed veggies...I like to use onions, mushrooms, yellow squash an zucchini---just use what you've got languishing in your fridge
- 1-2 c. shredded vegan cheese, I use Daiya because it melts.
- 1/2 c. crushed corn chips. I usually just fish out the leftovers from the bottom of the bag
- Optional: lettuce, tomato, diced, green onion, sliced olives, etc.
Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grab a casserole dish and put your tortillas in the bottom, don't worry about a little overlap, this is just to stabilize. Glop down your beans and spread evenly. Now if you are using more tortillas you can put them between each layer, your call. Add the sour cream, rice, sauteed veggies, and guacamole in layers, feel free to make as many layers as you like. When you are satisfied with the layers add the crushed chips and sprinkle evenly with your vegan cheese. Throw it in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until your vegan cheese is melted. Slice it like lasagna and top with any of the optional elements.
Enjoy and don't let your tears of football anguish fall into the casserole. I kid.