Friday, September 7, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Apple Pie Bites

pie bite2

Yesterday afternoon was one of those sacred days where both girls nap at the same time. I was caught up on my work and had some time to myself. I suppose I could have taken a nap or done something for myself, but I don't seem to be able to do nothing anymore.  I decided that I needed to do something with our most recent harvest of apples from our apple tree. I looked around my nearly empty cupboard and fridge and came up with these tasty apple pie bites. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 packages of vegan mini fillo (phyllo)cups---I assume that if I can find them in small town Wyoming you can find them anywhere. Most are vegan.

For the filling
3 cups of fresh apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped into bite sized pieces. I used the apples that we grew, but you will just have to use the apples of your choosing.
1 1/4 water
2 Tbs. vegan sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinammon
pinch of salt

For the topping
1/2 c. ground almonds
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. vegan margarine

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350F. Pull your fill (phyllo) cups from the freezer and let them thaw for a few minutes.

In a medium pot over medium heat add all filling ingredients, except the apples, and mix until dissolved. Add the apples. Let simmer (you will probably need to reduce your heat) for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.When the apples are tender they're done.

Meanwhile mix all of the ingredients for the topping, it will be kind of like a slightly chunky paste.

Lay the fillo cups onto a baking sheet---you may want 2 baking sheets.. Fill each cup with a spoonful or two of the apple mixture, be sure to get a little of the liquid in there too. Top each cup with a small gob (that's a technical term) of the topping. When they are all assembled just pop them into the oven for 5-7 minutes. Enjoy hot and fresh from the oven. You could even add a bit of vegan whipped cream or a scoop of vegan ice cream.

pie bite1

5 comments:

Kate said...

I'm a little bit obsessed with apple pie right now, which, considering that I hate it, is odd. I'm baking the apples stuffed with coconut cream, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and topping them with my (vegan) crust.

affectioknit said...

YUM! I love apple pie...and little bites of anything are so special...

~Have a lovely day!

Roxanne said...

no matter what size, a whole pie or a gob of apple pie is delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

These look so cute and yummy! I bet your house smelled amazing!

Sarah said...

These look so cute and yummy! I bet your house smelled amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...