Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Booyah to Aging

 tree

A week or so back I was waiting in the car with the girls while Eric ran into a store to grab something. I flipped down the visor and looked in the mirror, trying to fish a stray eyelash from my eyeball. I performed the lashectomy and was just about to flip the visor back up when it happened; I spotted some lines...not exactly wrinkles yet, but something like a rustic trail that will eventually be developed into a roadway. I guess I should have noticed sooner, but I don't really make much time for mirror gazing or close facial inspection. My total mirror time in a given day is less than 10 minutes, face washing, makeup, tooth-brushing in front of the gentle  bathroom lights. There, in the harsh light of day, I was faced with the truth. I am aging.

I still occasionally get carded when I buy a bottle of wine or a can of spray paint, but it's no longer something I roll my eyes at as I think, "Come one, I definitely look 21 by now." Instead I have become one of those women who giggle a bit and occasionally act delighted when I am carded. Ugh, when did that happen?

I am still pretty young by most interpretations (not according to my 19 year old brother who claims that 25 is the prime of life, ha ha--how little he knows), but for the first time I am finding that it's not so easy to just say, "I am young," as a reckless blanket statement that acts as an explanation for any dumb thing that I do.

I know this shouldn't come as a surprise to me. I have two children, a mortgage, students loans , life experiences and all of that jazz...but I am still surprised. Perhaps it is because I went to school until just last August; college students aren't old...right? Wait, now if  and when I go back to school for my PhD I will fall into the non-traditional student category (you know the type, endlessly sharing real life experiences that are only loosely connected to the topic at hand)....oh no, it's almost too much to bear.

When I spotted those first hints that I am not going to be young forever I will admit that I had flashes of greasy lotions and rubbing the equivalent to sandpaper on my face as I tried to force the process to stop. Then I reminded myself that I don't have any interest in staying young forever. I took one more look at those almost wrinkles and I was so very pleased because those lines are all smile lines! I hope that as these lines make their permanent home on my face that they dig deep trenches as a reminder of the years of smiles and laughter that have created them.  So, booyah to getting older and not caring!




8 comments:

Victoria said...

A face with character is beautiful to behold.

Allen said...

What a lovely thing to talk about beatiful lady.

Stacy said...

You'll age like your mother - wonderfully and looking gorgeous!.

Sarah Purdy said...

I, too, have been noticing more lines these days. Thanks for the new perspective.

Mom said...

Well, I was clicking on to comment, "Oh Puuullleasssssse!". However, I saw Stacy's comment and totally forgot what was on my mind. Thanks, Stacy!

clare said...

agree on your lovely mama, but here is my organic cruelty-free advice. get thee some argan oil, wonderful for hair, face, feet, cuticles. one small bottle will last you a long time!

Roxanne said...

Age embracing is something I have to "embrace" too! White/grey hair is next! Yeah. I am a party pooper! LOL

elizabeth said...

you know, i often think the same thing. i have always, ever since i can remember, thought smile lines were beautiful.

and i've been happy to see them appearing on my own face.

i'm glad you can appreciate the lines life is leaving on your face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...