Thursday, October 11, 2012

Date Night

Eric and I recently had our first date together since Elise was born. I swear it was like three days ago that we were here with Cordelia. I suppose this time around it was a bit easier. I knew my parents would be fine, absolutely fine. I knew Cordelia was ready for us to hit the road, eager to play with her grandparents. Elise seemed cool with the whole business and I told myself that this is the exact way that my parents are able to forge such close relationships with the girls.

sitters
Cordelia has taken to wearing a princess tiara...apparently there is no fighting it.

So, with that in mind we left to go on a double-date with our friends Josh and Sarah. We drove to the restaurant and talked along the way. All was silent in the back seat. Cordelia wasn't requesting a Sparks song for the zillionth time and Elise wasn't screaming (she HATES riding in the car). We were just free to talk and it was weird and so good. Our relationship is the cornerstone of our whole family so we make it an absolute priority every single day, but sometimes a date is just the ticket.

e

We arrived a bit early and just enjoyed a few moments of still conversation. While we both love being parents it is certainly a rare treat to just sit and linger over a meal, a drink, a conversation. We soaked it up!

IMG_9607

m

IMG_9608

Sarah and Josh arrived and the evening was lovely and relaxing. We all just took it slow. We talked. We laughed. We had a drink. We had some food. We lingered. Thanks to a few texted photos from my mother  we weren't worried about the girls.

When the double-date concluded we were so ready to get back to our girls and hear, from Cordelia, about all of the fun they'd had. We pulled up and walked to my parent's front door, holding hands---a rare luxury. We climbed the stairs and all was well. Elise was snoozing in my mother's arms. Cordelia was wearing her footed Pjs and snuggled up in the recliner with my father. Perfect night!

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

Sounds perfect...you are so lucky to have your parents so close...

~Have a lovely day!

Sarah Purdy said...

We had a really wonderful night! It was so nice to talk to grown ups! We must do it again soon.

Allen said...

Love this GREAT family.

Emily said...

Date nights are just what the doctor ordered!

Michelle said...

It tickles me that out of all the birthday gifts, the Dollar Store tiara was the really big hit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...