Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Halloween that Wasn't

Cordelia has been so excited for Halloween. I think it is safe to say that she has mentioned it daily since Nov. 1st 2011. She has mulled over a zillion costume ideas for all of us. She has practiced trick-or-treating. All of this has been rather unusual to me as we normally don't make a big deal out of the holiday. For some reason this 3 year old girl is really into Halloween.

Yesterday started out really well. Cordelia got to wear pajamas to preschool (a genuis way to avoid dealing with dozens of costumes). She chose her pink skeleton pajamas and requested a pink hair extension. I obliged the girl. She put on her motorcycle boots and jean jacket on. Too cool. She was sooo excited for the day ahead. Later we planned to get together with her BFF Sadie for a little festive fun.

When I picked her up from preschool I was informed that she had quite suddenly been stricken with a tummy ache. I saw my sweet little lady sitting in her teacher's lap. She looked miserable, but I hoped that all of the attention was just escalating the situation. We left, but she really wasn't her normal self. She pointed to the lower right side when asked where it hurt. I became a bit concerned about the possibility of appendicitis, but hoped that it was just painful gas. I was pretty sure that was the case. I did talk to the doctor and they said to take her to the ER if things escalated.

The thing about a sick kid at that age it that it is so difficult to tell just how serious the situation is. One minute she'd be fine and then the next she was doubled over in pain. Late afternoon my mother, the nurse, stopped by to check on things. We hung out for an hour as Cordelia seemed perfectly fine, the situation really seemed to be past. A few minutes before my mother left Cordelia doubled over in pain and puked. Obviously it wasn't gas. So, we had to head to the ER to rule out the possibility of appendicitis (I had appendicitis as a kid and it was nasty). My mother changed into some barf free clothing and we headed to the hospital where we met Eric who had just gotten off of work.

downsized_1031121917
Please excuse the quality of the cell phone pics. Eric and Cordelia in the ER

The ER doc shared our concerns and decided to rule out a few different possibilities. We were there for 3 hours before we got to go home. Cordelia was given a small battery of tests and she was so charming and sweet. The staff doted on her. She was given a stuffed bear (she promptly named it Teddy Ben), stickers, a puppet--she loves the hospital.  Ultimately the doctor was able to rule out appendicitis and a bladder infection (she was hospitalized for that last year). There were still a couple of possible causes for her pain from a simple virus to something that would require surgical intervention. We were sent home with instructions to keep a close eye on her and to return if things worsened.

downsized_1031121917a
My mother hung out with us the entire time. She is awesome.

IMG_20121031_181521_618
We passed Elise around, keeping her entertained as well

Thankfully we made it through the night with no further incident and she is definitely looking much better this morning. Hopefully she is simply on the mend now. I am so thankful for more medical bills that we were able to rule out the worst possibilities and that she seems to be feeling more normal at this point.

Since she had to miss Halloween we have decided to have Halloween II in a couple of days when we are sure she is back in action. She may be even more excited for Halloween II than she was for Halloween I.

10 comments:

Roxanne said...

So sorry Cordelia! I give you hugs and hope Hallowe'en II gets posted so we can all share in it!

AKM said...

Oh, poor little pumpkin! Hope she's on the mend, and fast!

Stacy said...

Glad she's okay! Enjoy Halloween II!

Anne Marie said...

Awww, no fun! I hope she's over it quickly! Megan missed school on Monday and Tuesday due to fever and naughty tummy. She was just one of many. I seriously dislike tummy flu season.

Sarah Purdy said...

We were so worried! Halloween re-do. My thoughts exactly! Sadie was so concerned last night that Cordelia was missing trick or treating that she decided she will share all of her candy with Cordelia to make her feel better. We also have a treat bag for her from Jack and Lauren. All vegan friendly of course. Tell us when and where and be there ringing doorbells/answering doors with costumes on! Glad she's on the mend.

Anonymous said...

Our bowl of vegan candy awaits!

Clare said...

Bless all of you! So glad she is feeling better, and best wishes for Halloween Redux!

Tammy Chrzan said...

AWww I'm so sorry that your daughter was sick and missed Halloween! But glad she's okay! You have a lovely blog!
Tammy xx

affectioknit said...

Oh NO!...so sorry Cordelia has been sick...and on Halloween too...hoping all is well and stays well...you should have come here...they do Halloween the day before or after...weird...

~Have a lovely day!

On my way Home... said...

Oh my oh my you did have a week! So glad to here she is feeling better! Scary stuff. I am glad to hear you have a very nice ER. I am not a fan of ours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...