Saturday, December 1, 2012

Very Heavy

Yesterday was a heavy day. There was a murder/suicide on campus...the one where I work (although I haven't been on campus much this semester), where my brother and husband take classes, where my students and colleagues are every single day. There was also a murder (linked to the incident on campus) in my quiet suburban neighborhood, close. You can read more here.Eric actually stumbled upon the cordoned off crime scene as he went to grab lunch...he saw too much.

I have a hurt in my heart for someone so broken, for families and friends, for scared children and adults. I have been giving this a lot of thought and at first I had the same thoughts most people had...Why here? Why are there so many of these types of events? What went wrong? What could have been done to prevent this? So many of us here were asking these questions. We are all shocked. Appalled. Frightened. Sad.

 I think that is what I am going to take from this event, that we were all surprised because this is not the norm. This is not the way that we act or the way we treat each other. Yesterday I saw strangers talking to each other, comforting each other and connecting. While this event and others like it do seem to happen all too frequently I am comforted in the knowledge that most people are good, probably even those who do terrible and desperate things.

7 comments:

Clare said...

So scary! I am glad you all are all right. Practice some deep breathing (says my yoga teacher self). 10 steady breaths morning, noon, and night, can help you and your dear hubs keep moving through the trauma.My heart goes out to everyone involved.

affectioknit said...

...so so sad...

...Peace be with you...

Roxanne said...

So sorry this has happened but glad you have faith in humanity that all is not lost on us.

Anne Marie said...

I am so glad you were all safe yesterday! How awful for Eric that he had to see that, though. Sometimes you need to be able to scrub memories right out of your brain.

Sarah Purdy said...

To do that. To a parent. In that way. I can only imagine that he must have been a very, very troubled person. Just tragic.

Stacy said...

I heard about it. Sadly, I didn't put two and two together or I would have emailed you. Sending lots of love and prayers to your community.

eLiZaBeTh said...

I thought about you that day and wondered if it was close to you. I am sorry Maria!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...