Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Being Herself

I had a lot of fun dressing Cordelia as a baby. She was given loads of adorable clothes and I must admit to a few purchases myself. Since before Cordelia could talk she has had an opinion about her clothing. Now that she is capable of dressing herself I pretty much let her do whatever she wants, only stepping in if it is inappropriate for the weather or occasion (and you'll see I am pretty lax about occasion). She has an opinion about all of it, from the way her hair is styled to her socks and shoes.

Today she mostly just wanted to wear blue. A blue dress, blue leggings and hair clips. She also wanted striped socks (to be pulled over her pants) and dress shoes.

Dressing c

Dressing c

Dressing c

I love that she is developing an idea about how she wants to be, but more than that I love for her to explore her creativity. I want her to feel confident  enough to be a little different, to wear what she wants and say what she thinks. I know that soon enough she will care all too much about her peers, but for now she is happy to freely expressing herself and I couldn't be more proud----even when that means taking a tiny girl to the store wearing a super girl costume, hula skirt, ballet shoes and fedora (true story).

4 comments:

Marie Roxanne said...

Oh, yeah! I let my son do the same. And he now wears hats (has several different styles, his favorite is a fedora) and a very long handlebar style mustache...

Victoria said...

She may never care about what her peers think. It can happen. I have one of those ;)

Sarah Purdy said...

What an absolute cutey!

Mom said...

Oh how I love that little free spirit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...