Saturday, February 2, 2013

Happy Birthday Mom!

mom and the girls

Dear Mom,

Happy birthday! Today we celebrate you, or perhaps we celebrate the fact that we get to know you. Any person who has had the good fortune to cross your path has been touched by your kindness. From the many checkout clerks at grocery stores who unload their life stories onto you as you kindly listen even if you are in a hurry, to the countless lives you touch through your work (patients and their families), to your friends, and finally those of us that are honored to call you family---we are all gifted by your presence.

I cannot express how grateful I am to be your daughter. Never will you know how thankful I am for that. You are so kind and forgiving (almost never bringing up my teen years) and now, in adulthood, we have this beautiful mother-daughter friendship that has become such a deeply important part of my life. You are always there to encourage or offer advice and somehow you have the ability to distinguish which is needed.

You are such a loving and fun grandmother. The girls are just crazy about you. Cordelia talks about you daily. Most recently she has been wondering when you two might have another special trip to the pool. Elise lights up when she spots you, leaning into you like she does, readily offering up her dimpled smile.

I could go on and on about what a great wife, friend, nurse, philanthropist you are, but more than anything I just want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are so loved.

Love,
Maria

3 comments:

Mom said...

ILY

Marie Roxanne said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

To read the beautiful tribute to your mother, particularly the inference to your teenage years, gives me hope for my own relationship with my teenage daughter. There obviously is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Donna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...