Saturday, February 9, 2013

This Isn't My First Soy Rodeo...

me

Somewhere outside of Gillette, WY, driving at a rate of about 65 mph I turned to my mother and said, "This isn't my first soy rodeo." She didn't even bat an eyelash at that bizarre figure of speech I'd just offered up to her. It is totally commonplace for me to say strange things like that because it's my own weird way of veganizing our language.

When I first went it veg it never occurred to me that it would impact the way that I spoke.Honestly, at first, I just went on as normal, but it gradually became weird to me. Let's just think about it for a moment:
  • This isn't my first rodeo
  • Fishing for compliments
  • Say cheese
  • A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush
  • Cheesy
  • Running around like a headless chicken
  •  Grab a bull by the horns
  • Got one the line
  • Got it in my sights
  • Beefing Up
  • Egg head
  • Milking it
  • Cutting the cheese
  • And so on....
So, my first reaction was to just stop saying those things, but they are deeply ingrained in our culture and sometimes I find myself saying these strange non-veg things. Ultimately my reaction has been to just toss the word soy in there, works in most cases. Most people just smile at the quirky vegan.  Now I am not trying to change the world. I get that it is a language built on a very non-vegan history, but it does leave vegans feeling weird to say this stuff. 

3 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

I think veganizing language is a great since there's more than one way to skin a soy cat. It's a way of turning a soy sow's ear into a soy silk purse.

I could do this all day!

Anne Marie said...

Haha, when I saw today's blog title, I immediately imagined you riding your 8 seconds on a wildly bucking (giant) block of tofu! ;o)

Marie Roxanne said...

"Cutting the cheese" is something I used to say, now I say "cutting the daiya" and everybody just looks at me as if I have two heads!
I try to veganize my language too but everybody is not on board with me...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...