Saturday, March 23, 2013

Mia

Mia
Mia, in better days

Our sweet Mia has been sick. Really sick. I was pretty sure she was knocking at death's door. Eric and I had been debating about a vet visit as 1. Mia is getting old and she will die in the not too distant future and we want that to be comfortable and peaceful. 2. She is beyond terrified of the vet. 3. We did not want to face the whole "putting her down" issue...which we were sure we faced.

So, when my brother Ben's mother-in-law, who is a vet, strongly urged us to take Mia in we followed her advice. On Monday, with a heavy heart I took Mia to the vet. When the vet weighed her she was 5 lbs. She has always been small, but it certainly confirmed the significant weight loss we had noticed over the past month.

The vet did some blood work and while we were waiting on the results he came back to our room and started talking kidney failure with me. My worst fear. I have worked in a vet's office. I know what that means. I also knew the vet had come in to prep me for that information.

"Could it be a thyroid issue?" I meekly asked, hoping that Ben's mother-in-laws hunch could be true.The vet agreed that it was a possibility, but then he mentioned that the way things were looking he was guessing kidneys. Then he left me there to prepare to handle some sad news.

I waited as I tried to entertain two little girls. My mind wandering as I thought about sweet Mia, the once nearly feral cat who took over a year to purr in our presence. The sweet blue eyed girl who likes to play fetch, who follows the morning sun. Oh it hurt to even imagine life without her. I understand that it happens this way with animals, but oh it hurts.

When the vet came back I braced for the news, but it didn't come. She was not going yet. A wave of relief washed over me. The vet prescribed her thyroid meds and sent us on our way. The great news is that she can recover and have another decade (wishful thinking perhaps) with us. The only downside is that we have to force feed her meds every single day, twice a day. Small price to pay if it helps our little lady to recover and live a long and healthy life.

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

Oh I'm so glad...

~Have a lovely day enjoying your sweet kitty...

Marie Roxanne said...

Mia is so pretty! I love that coloring.... I am glad she is okay!

Mom said...

Yay for Sara's Mom, Orit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...