Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Getting to know Walda

Apparently any and all storms can be named now. Has it always been this way? I was under the impression that only tropical storms and hurricanes were named. Seemed like something the sea folk (people who live near the sea, not mer-people) were into, not the rest of the country. I only encountered named storms when they were covered on the news or when their leftovers rained upon us. Then this year I have noticed a few named storms in Wyoming. When did that start?

Anyway, I am not one to argue. I love to name things. So, let's learn about Walda who is currently storming down a furious amount of snow.

According to the internet  the name Walda is of Germanic origin and her name means ruler. Speaking of rulers, check out the nine inches of accumulation since LAST NIGHT!

9

Since we are in Wyoming people seem to think this is perfectly acceptable and are driving around. Schools are open. Folks who own their own plows, there are many here, have been busy at work. Unfortunately our neighbors don't have plows and the city won't be through with real plows, so we are extra thankful that our "truck" The Kraken has 4wd so Eric could get to work today.

wheel barrow

chair

Such a weird contrast from the weekend where we were appreciating the daffodils and greening yards. What's it like where you are?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Wyoming Spring. Shorts to parkas in 24 hours.

Marie Roxanne said...

I guess your snow is coming our way on Thursday, in the meantime, I am enjoying the sun and melted snow until then!

affectioknit said...

What a beautiful big spring snow...I think our friends in ND may get some snow...but here it's still greening up...

~Have a lovely day!

Anne Marie said...

How funny that you began your blog asking about when winter storms started being named, and I began my blog explaining when (and by whom) winter storms started being named! Made me giggle.

Sarah Purdy said...

I just keep telling myself..."We need the moisture. We need the moisture. We need the moisture."

Stacy said...

It's sunny and 70 here... Perfect since I'm on vacation this week. Hope you enjoyed a day of snuggles....

elizabeth said...

we have cold, wind, grey, clouds, dirty snow . . .
'gross' is the word that comes to mind . . .

(where in wy are you? close to the tetons?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...