Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Atomic Betty Sprinkles

A couple of months ago my brother Ben gifted me with a pair of glowing shoe laces and a pair of basset hound socks. That's just kind of the person my brother is. He said something about encouraging me to become the weird basset hound lady. So, I took it to heart....

About a month ago Eric and I decided he was we were fiiinally ready to adopt another dog. My family joked that I would have a dog in our house by the end of the day. I didn't. I took my time as we had a lot to consider. Cordelia, Elise, Bumblebee, Ophelia. I started searching petfinder obsessively. Eric wanted something smaller. I wanted a Great Dane, but neither of us wanted to scoop that poop. Eric was interested in pugs, French bulldogs, Boston terriers. I was interested in a dog. I was having great difficulty finding a rescue dog in those breeds that met our needs or a mutt, because we aren't breed purists or anything. Finally I asked Eric if another basset hound was on or off the table. He said it was on the table. We are so comfortable with the breed and know what to expect from them. We know their quirks and feel good (in general) about how they are around kids.

So I fired off an email to Wyoming Basset Hound Rescue and said that we were looking for a younger basset that was good with little kids/babies, nice to cats, good with dogs, house-trained, with no major emotional trauma. You see we don't have the circumstances to rescue a high needs dog or one that hasn't been tested around kids. I just cannot expose my little ones to any danger. I have worked with rehab dogs in the past and hope to again, but this is not the time for that.

Anyway, I sent the letter off not expecting a response---but there she was. Everything matched for her and for us. So Eric drove up to Sheridan on Saturday to pick her up from her foster family and brought her home. I eagerly awaited word from him for what seemed like an eternity. Then a couple of pictures came. She was loaded up and on her way!

Betty

Isn't she darling...you know in that deformed basset-y way?!?

Atomic Betty Sprinkles

Meet Atomic Betty Sprinkles, the newest member of Team W. The name was a family compromise.

Atomic Betty


 Bumblebee and Betty


We made introductions and all went well, really well. We had anticipated a few rough days and nights as everyone adjusted, but things were natural and easy. Bumblebee and Betty are getting along and developing a friendship; they're already playmates. Ophelia and Betty are indifferent to each other. The girls adore her. She is sweet and silly.

Bumblebee and Betty

Betty

Betty is two years old. She is quirky, fun and soooo sweet. We can't wait to get to know her better, but already feel like she is part of the family indeed!

Bum and Bett

So, now it is official, we are the weird basset hound people!!!

8 comments:

affectioknit said...

That is so SWEET! I'm so glad y'all found each other!

~Have a lovely day!

Anne Marie said...

Absolutely LOVE bassets! Welcome to your new family, Betty!

Marie Roxanne said...

She is so pretty, glad you had that list of "needs" so that your family and Betty are a perfect fit! I like the name too.

Stacy said...

Awesome!!! So glad Betty is part of the family!!

Sarah Purdy said...

Betty sure is a sweetie! I want to come over again soon so I can snuggle with her some more.

Michelle said...

Tell us a little more about how she came to be named Atomic Betty Sprinkles! (I can see the Sprinkles part.)

Maria Rose said...

Atomic Betty was Eric's first choice. Cordelia wanted Sprinkles Sandal. So I put them together and dropped the Sandal.

Kate said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Congratulations!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...