Thursday, June 6, 2013

Feral

 elise

My children are a teensy bit feral. I like it that way. I want my children's earliest memories to be of playing outside, the feel of sunshine on their (sun-screened) skin.

 elise

I want them to know what dirt tastes like, to not fear worms and roly-polys. I want my girls to anticipate the first calls of the robin.

cordelia

b

I want them to eat strawberries fresh from the garden, to sneak tomatoes off the plant.

cordelia

I want to find their hair riddled with twigs, dirt, and grass at the end of the day. I want the soles of their feet to be a little callused and a little funky.

foot

 I want them to help in the garden, to play in the grasses, to see that nature is good.

leaves


5 comments:

Kate said...

Mine, too. It's a good way to raise babes. I also allow them free time outside. My son often goes out "by himself" and I want him to feel that he really s in the front yard alone, or with his friends. I want him to know he's trusted, (even if I'm secretly watching.) He's learning his own boundaries and abilities without me hovering and telling him what he's capable of. He'll know himself better this way, which is something I want. My daughter is beginning to yearn for her time alone, so I'm now letting her explore our backyard "alone" for a few minutes each day.

Marie Roxanne said...

Nature is an excellent teacher. I wish every child could experience the variety of gardens, food and flowers and just plain greenery instead of steel and cement.
Of course this also helps us to re-charge ourselves as adults as it is calming and soothing to be outside.

Anne Marie said...

Love this post! This is how it should be for kids...not constantly in front of the TV or playing video games. Kids need to be outdoors, playing, exploring and using their imaginations! I remember being outdoors all summer, and being so dirty by evening that my mom would hose me off before I could come in and take a bath. I've had to do that a time or two with my own daughter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Michelle said...

Great post! I was going to write about having to hose my little girl off before she could come in the house--and then I saw that Anne Marie already had.

I still remember the taste of dirt from when I sampled it as a very young child.

sara said...

Feral, I love that word :) The more fresh air my kids get, the happier and more well-behaved they are. They are currently splashing around in their wading pool pretending to be "water bears".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...