Thursday, July 25, 2013

Dino Days


On Tuesday I promised Cordelia a trip to the Tate museum (has paleontology and geology exhibits). She was soooo excited to show me around and had been talking about it for ages, since she had gone with her father.

Wednesday morning at about 4 I woke with a start. Elise had slept longer and more quietly than usual. I did the mom thing and freaked a tiny bit. Breathing was checked, but when I put my hand on her head I felt it instantly. Fever. She woke and needed a long snuggle and some meds to combat the fever. She had a morning nap (not her usual thang) and woke up with almost no fever and a happy disposition.

So we headed to the museum. I think many parents have been in this boat, that fine line between going out and staying home. Sometimes it is a tough call, but I made it and I am glad I did.

When we arrived Cordelia went into tour guide mode. She was an expert! She began spouting  off facts and info when we were intercepted by an employee who told us we could catch up with a group over in a nearby hangar and we could see a T-Rex they were excavating.

We hightailed it over and got to check it out. Cordelia whispered to me, asking if the man giving the tour was a real paleontologist. She was star struck and couldn't believe that there was a real live paleontologist in front of her. Elise was pretty cuddly and quiet, normally she would have been lurching and trying to do her own thang.

Please excuse camera phone photos!


The T-Rex was awesome! How amazing to look at those giant bones and wonder. Awesome! They found smaller bones within the larger skeleton, suggesting the remnants of a last meal! 

Next we meandered back to the museum. Elise was starting to get a little warm, her fever was returning. So I asked Cordelia to give me the tour quickly. She was happy to oblige.


The last photo that looks like stars is actually a cross section of an ancient plant. Coooool!

We took a few minutes at the touching table and then headed home where Elise decided to go ahead with the sickness. She took a looong nap. As she slept Cordelia and I discussed the museum. She concluded that she must be a paleontologist since she knows so much.

7 comments:

Marie Roxanne said...

How nice of her to give you the tour! And you must be glad you went, hope Elise is better

Stacy said...

What a smartie that Cordelia is! I'm glad she has a career choice lined up. Of course, paleontologists remind me of Ross from Friends!

affectioknit said...

That looks like a lot of fun...Scout used to love dinos...

~Have a lovely day!

Marianne said...

Sounds fascinating! She looks like a future paleontologist.

Marianne said...

PS. I met a woman just like you on the playground today. She looked and dressed like you, had a little girl, and was like your twin in every way. :-)

sara said...

Cool museum! Of course Cordelia is a paleontologist! Smart girl :)

Kate said...

Charming child.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...