Saturday, December 28, 2013

Project: Cordelia's Quilt

Cordelia doesn't need any more blankets. She has been given beautiful quilts and crocheted and knitted blankets by dear friends and family, gifts that she will treasure for a lifetime. However, I couldn't stop myself, she needed just one more from me.

When my firstborn began to outgrow those precious newborn onesies and little outfits I couldn't get rid of them. The smell, the feel, they all brought it back to me, those early days of motherhood. Nights on the couch, the smell of her sweet little head. Her tiny sighs in my arms as she peacefully slept. How could I just let that go?

So, I started cutting them up into pieces for a little quilt. Over the past few years I have worked on it in quiet moments and slowly progress was made. I just couldn't find the time to finish it off so my mother offered to help with the binding and she did a great job! Here is the finished quilt.

On one side of the quilt is a tree, each leaf made from a piece outgrown baby clothes.

backdetail

quiltback

On the other side are standard squares made from her baby clothes, surrounded by a border.

detailfront1

detailfront2

quiltfront
Christmas morning was the big reveal. She was excited and grateful and I was so happy I stuck with it.

quiltonchristmas1

quiltonchristmas2

One down and one to go. I am already filled with ideas for Elise's quilt and I hope I will be able to complete it in a more timely manner.

4 comments:

Mom said...

What a sweet gift for Cordy from her Mom. I know she will treasure it.

Marie Roxanne said...

What a beautiful idea! And so pretty.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. How precious for Cordelia.

Donna

Michelle said...

Beautiful quilt, wonderful idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...