Friday, April 18, 2014

My Year


 me

I don't know about you, but my birthday has always kind of bummed me out. I don't care about aging at all, that's not it. It just so happens that my birthday often falls on inconvenient times: moves, travel days, poverty (thanks college),Good Friday--ahem. The thing isn't even that it falls on bad days, it is the expectation. People who love me really want my day to be super-duper special, but sometimes life is just beyond their power, and then I feel like I am letting loved ones down by not having the most amazing birthday...even if it is a perfectly good day. Anyway, I am done with all that. Today I am thirty three. THIRTY THREEE YO! It is going to be a beautifully normal day and I am going to revel in that fact. I am so thankful that I get to spend the day with family, meet my bestie for breakfast, do some yard work, take a walk, snuggle with some hounds, play with my girls, laugh with my husband.

Today I am celebrating the fact that I have been given the gift of thirty three years to learn and grow. Over the course of these thirty three years I have accomplished a lot: from learning to walk and talk, to falling in love, bearing children, becoming friends with my parents and brothers, learning, traveling, loving, friending, all of it and it is freaking wonderful!

Yesterday I was fretting, knowing that my parents and spouse would be worried about how to make my day special in spite of their very busy schedules. Then it hit me, it's not their responsibility to make my day special and it isn't my responsibility to pretend that my birthday has to be a special day, because you know what? Every single day is special (it's my birthday I can be soy cheesy). While I was at it I decided that this is going to be my year. I am going to make this year special. Today I am going to set some personal goals. I am settling into 33 and I am going to make myself good and comfortable. Life is good and today I celebrate 33 years of things to be thankful for.

Also, I should really thank my mother who birthed a behemoth baby. I was over two weeks past due and weighed as much as a Ford Fairmont, so I pretty much came out walking and talking with an opinion about things. Thanks mom! I love you! I am sorry I took so long to join you all those years ago.

6 comments:

Sarah Spitz said...

Dear Maria Rose,

we wish you all the best to your birthday! We love your blog, yours is on of the reasons, why we tried to blog about life, love and friendship.
I think, to make everyday the best one of your life, is a great idea and we love to read about it soon!

So go ahead and celebrate life and everything that is in it!

Birthday hugs from Germany and the -fatcatconnection-

and have a wonderful weekend
http://lasagnolove.blogspot.de/2014/04/have-wonderful-weekend_18.html

Sarah Purdy said...

I'm pretty glad the stars all aligned in such a way to bring us together as friends! Happy happy day, dear friend!

On my way Home... said...

Happy Birthday! Mine was on Monday and it was the worst birthday in a while... I didn't feel like picking up my boot straps and celebrating myself and no one did for me either. Well that's not true- I tried, but somehow 3 little kids and myself trying new things means disaster and more work around here. Boo.... but you are awesome! I am glad to know you! Happy Birthday to yoU!!

affectioknit said...

Happy Birthday!

~Have a lovely day!

sara said...

Happy birthday!

Mom said...

You are welcome! Yes, I felt bad I couldn't spend more time with you today, but mostly I felt bad for myself. I'm with you, though, every day is a day for which I am grateful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...