Monday, May 12, 2014

Letter to Elise

Dear Elise,

Today you are 1 year 10 months and 2 days old.  I am writing this letter here on my blog so family and friends can get a look at you, but also so maybe someday you will find it and read it and be reminded that I love you so very much.

Elise

You are, at this point, my constant companion. We are very rarely apart. Your sister goes to preschool, your dad works, but you and I are always together. I remember this time with your sister and I know all too well how fleeting it is. Soon you will look more and more to the world outside and that will be good fun too, but for now I am going to snuggle you and hold your hand as much as you'll let me.

Elise

I am going to let my heart melt at all of your sweet demands. "Momma I NEED you!" need you too! Your dimpled smile, your little hand that always reaches for mine, even when you think you are being bold. 

Elise

You are growing, my girl, every day it is something new. You are counting! You sing. You speak in mostly complete sentences. You are so observant and eager to be big, but you are so big already. I know we can't slow this down, and I am so excited to watch you grow into the amazing woman I know you will someday be, but I also am going to take this time to savor the little girl you are right now. I, as your mother, have the rare privilege of knowing you in a way and loving you to a depth you will never understand---until you have kids of your own. I feel as though I am constantly saying to myself, remember this. Remember the sound of Elise's tiny voice, how it is lower than her sister's voice and has a rich quality to it. Remember how she uses her imagination at such an early age, the games she plays. 

Right now you really love to pretend to go to and from work. You also really love to reenact scenes from Frozen with your sister. You love your sister so much and she adores you. When we pick her up at school she proudly shows you off to her friends. You revel in the attention. I hope you are friends for your whole lives.

Elise

I love you my sweet girl. I love that you sometimes just shout. "Chocolate chip!" I love that you are wild and independent and perhaps a little shy. I love, love, love that you have only one dimple on your cheek. I love that you want to wear dresses and Spider-Man jackets and play outside. I love the person you are and the person you will be, always.
Elise
Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Marie Roxanne said...

What a beautiful letter!
I am glad I found your blog a few years ago on a vegan site, and I have loved reading about you and your family every day since then.

Sarah Purdy said...

My heart. It melts.

Mom said...

Oh, this warms my heart. I also love that little girl so much.

Amber Robbins said...

What a touching letter. Elise is beautiful. Reading this letter makes me realize how fast time goes and to cherish each moment with our little daughters. Thank you for sharing ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...