Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Vegan Recipe: Quinoa, Kale, Apricot Salad

 vegan quinoa and kale salad

I have been searching Pinterest for the perfect salad with quinoa and kale, but every recipe I find has something that just isn't quite right. So I took a few cues from others and then looked into my own soul pantry and refrigerator and came up with a variation on what I see out there in the world of quinoa and kale. The result was super delicious and I am going to share it with you. I can't take full credit for it as I am definitely using some input from others, but not enough to cite them. Be prepared as this makes a monster salad!

You will need:
For the salad
1 cup of quinoa (1 c quinoa +2 c water, simmer for 15 minutes to cook), cooked
1-2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1 bunch of kale from the grocer (maybe 10-12 leaves), stems removed and thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1/3 c basil, chopped
1/4 c mint, finely, chopped
1/3 c flat leaf parsley, chopped
Handful of chopped walnuts
1 c chopped apricot

For the dressing
juice and zest of one lemon
2 small-medium cloves of pressed garlic
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper

dining al fresco

To Prepare
1. Use a very large bowl! Toss all of the salad ingredients together (remember to cook quinoa first) in whatever order strikes your fancy.
2. In a separate bowl (I use the measuring cup to measure the oil and add everything else) whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
3. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. I let it cool in the fridge for an hour before serving, but you do what you want.

vegan quinoa and kale salad

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

That looks delicious...I'm always looking for new ways to serve quinoa...

~Have a lovely day!

Marie Roxanne said...

Pink Lemonade!
I love your salad, looks pretty!

Sarah Purdy said...

That looks really delicious! Great job, Maria!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...