Moving over from Rooted Vegan....
It is that time of year. You know, the time when you ask yourself, "WHY, why did I (or my friends and family) plant so many squash and/or zucchini?!?"
It seems that this time of year I am always slammed from my own garden
or the gardens of loved ones. I have a hard time turning away free food
so I have to become a little creative with how I use it. Recently a
friend bestowed us with a lot of yellow squash. I have used it in a
variety of ways from breakfast scrambles to lasagna. My stomach is still
uncomfortably full from tonight's lasagna. I hope you enjoy it as much
as we did!
noodles, enough for two layers in your 9 x 12 casserole dish (I used 6,
but I always make extra so I cooked 9), cook according to directions
1 T olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow squash, diced
6 baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes in juice
1 can pizza sauce
For the tofu mixture
1 package of extra firm tofu, crumbled
4-5 basil leaves, shredded or chopped
1/3 c nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic, minced
You'll also need a bag of Daiya mozzerella shredded vegan cheese.
While your lasagna noodles are cooking heat a large skillet over medium
high. Add the oil and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
Once the onion is cooked add the garlic and cook for about a minute,
stirring. Add the squash, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook for a minute or
3. Add the fire roasted tomatoes in juice and cook, stirring
occasionally, until the juice cooks off. Add the pizza sauce, reduce
heat and cook for 3-5 more minutes. Set aside
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. I enlisted my 3 year old to mush it all together.
Assemble the lasagna
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a lightly oiled 9 x 12 casserole dish add a layer of noodles. Cover with half of the tofu mixture, spread evenly.
3. Add half of the sauce mixture. Cover with vegan cheese.
4. Repeat layer of noodles, tofu. sauce, cheese.
5. Pop it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.