Saturday, August 2, 2014

Invisible Audience


I started a bit of a personal campaign on my birthday this year. Mostly the goal has just been to live as the most authentic version of myself. I know that is a bit broad and vague, but it has been working for me. 

I started by letting go of the Invisible Audience. This is something that I think most artists/creatives/musicians know well; a worry about the opinions of an imagined audience. For example, as an artist, it is easy to imagine the reactions of the audience as I create a work and if I am not careful I can let that guide my work in a way that makes me feel like I am not being true to myself. The problem with the Invisible Audience, is that it doesn't exist. There is really no way to know what any person or group of people are going to say/think/feel about a given work. So why create work for something completely imaginary?

The other thing about the Invisible Audience is that it allows a person to feel like they are more important than they actually are. Don't get me wrong, each of us is special and important, but not in an under the microscope kind of way. Perhaps we can blame it in celebrity culture, selfies, blogging, Instagram,who knows---but for some reason we all seem to think that what we see/eat/wear/do is super important to others. The reality is that most people don't care much and that is great!!! 

So I have been working on blocking out those imagined voices and opinions of others. Obviously there are people (family and good friends) who have opinions that do matter to me, but these people are coming from a place of kindness and support. I know that they want me to succeed and be happy in my life, just as I want the same for them.

So that only leaves one voice in my Invisible Audience, and really it has always been one voice---my own. Realizing that all of the positives and negatives bumping around in my brain are my own invention has been quite liberating. I have been working to only speak to myself with kindness. Also, to not think about myself so much. I have just been focusing on doing and being, less analyzing.

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

~Have a lovely day!

Pam Brewer said...

I love this post! I've been reading your blog for several years and I have noticed that your writing feels more real and authentic lately. There is no greater gift to the world than your real self! Thank you.

Sarah and Josh said...

Love this! Amen.

Suzy said...

You are so right Maria! The more I am true to myself, the better my work, and life in general.

Suzy said...

You are so right Maria! The more I am true to myself, the more my work improves, and life in general!

Marie Roxanne said...

Thank you for this post, but that "invisible audience" has been an obstacle in my life too, and has been for quite a while crippling my work as a novelist and artist.
Everything is in my head as a "maybe someday I will start this" well, after I read this, I feel that the "someday" is now here and I should start my work so that I can be happy.
Thank you Maria Rose!

Tammie said...

i like this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...