Monday, August 4, 2014

Motley Crue Weekend

Pshew, we had quite a crazy weekend. We got home last night, completely exhausted from our adventure. Once the girls were fed and put to bed I finished up a little work and then collapsed into a heap on the couch.  Well, I suppose we should begin at the beginning and tell you why we were so tired.

Let's take a quick stop somewhere the 1980s. Let me set the mood. Hair metal (Grandma this is a type of rock music noted for big hair) was all the rage. Guys and girls were teasing their luscious 80s locks into gigantic pouffy hair confections. Leather (vegan boo) and lace and eyeliner and hairspray, lots of hairspray, was the look. The music was all about being hardcore. Think wailing guitar, drums solos, and screams of rebellion.

My husband, then an impressionable young man, was introduced to the music of Motley Crüe by his older sister. Since she was the authority on cool to him it was there that he found his first love for music, in rock. My husband, of course, evolved in his musical tastes over the course of his life, but he never let go of his first love of rock. I have many times heard the story of how he almost got to see Motley Crüe in concert as a young man.

Earlier this year it was announced that the band was quitting, one final tour. They held a press conference about how they would definitely not reunite (we shall see) and there was some contract signing to solidify this notion. Obviously Eric wanted to go. So we bought tickets, eight months ago. Since then he has been "educating me" on their music so I would be even more familiar with their music by the time of the show.

Finally, Saturday morning it was time to go to Denver for the concert. We made it a family affair. My mom and the girls came along, certainly not how a young Eric had probably imagined his first Motley Crüe concert, but perfect for this time in life.  We stopped in Cheyenne for lunch and a little time at the Children's Gardens.

Denver trip
Children's gardens

Denver trip
Children's gardens


When we arrived in Denver we took the girls to the Children's Museum. Pro-tip, wait until an hour before closing and prices drop, but you have more than enough time to play. They had a blast blowing off a little steam and running around like lunatics.

Denver trip
Children's Museum in Denver

Denver trip
Building a rocket at the Children's Museum in Denver

Next we went to Watercourse for dinner. When Eric and I lived in Denver this was one of our favorite vegetarian restaurants as it had loads of vegan options. We were pleased to discover that it has become a fully vegan restaurant! So good. That is all I have to say about that!

Denver trip
The girls at Watercourse

Denver trip
Tomato coconut curry soup!

We then returned to the hotel the girls stayed with my mother. Eric and I headed to the concert. Eric was so excited. I was reminded of the thrill I got when my cousin and I watched our childhood music loves NKOTB (read here).

We made it inside of the gigantic PepsiCenter  and found our seats. We had a great view of the show. First up was Alice Cooper. His act was so much fun! He had a gigantic puppet of Frankenstein (click here). He had a guillotine, smoke, glitter, confetti, costume changes, it was so cool! 

Finally it was time. Mötley Crüe came out and started what was to be the most over the top show I have ever seen. I can't fully explain what I saw, but let me give you a few highlights. There was smoke, fire balls that were enormous, a bass guitar that was also a flame thrower, fireworks indoors, the most intense light show, dancers, confetti, glitter, etc. Then at one point Tommy Lee, the drummer, was playing drums when they raised him on a track and spun him out over the crowd. He was playing drums 80 feet in the air upside down (click here)! The show closed when the band came out to a second stage in the center of the crowd, played a few songs and then the stage raised up into the air. It was totally bananas. I have never seen anything like this concert.

Denver trip
Eric and I before the show

Denver trip
Giant flame ball

Denver trip
Drums above the crowd in the middle of that circle, they followed a track to right where we sat

Denver trip
Band on the stage

Denver trip

Denver trip
 Rising stage

Anyway, we returned to our hotel and had a decent-ish night of sleep. The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel. The hotel hadn't gotten our rooms ready when we had arrived, which was not a big deal for us, but they gave us free drink tickets, free breakfast buffets, free soy lattes. It was way unnecessary, but so nice!!!

Then we took my mom on her first visit to Ikea! Of course that was an adventure in itself. We grabbed a quick lunch and headed home!

I should also mention that my mom is like super grandma. She is such an amazing mother, but watching her grandmother is such a joy for me. Our daughters adore her. She is endlessly patient. Anybody else tires after hours and hours with little kids, because they are exhausting---fun, but exhausting. My mom would never let you know. She is just so kind and loving and giving. We hit the jackpot in the mom/grandma department!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I had a lovely time! How could I not? I felt like the girls and I were making joyful memories.

Also, thanks for the Ikea introduction. That was like no store I've ever been to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...