Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What's the Deal With Nutritional Yeast?


 Moving this over from Rooted Vegan

nutritional yeast: it's a vegan thang by rooted-vegan.blogspot.com

The first time I heard about nutritional yeast I had NO IDEA what it was. For all I knew it was some sort of bacteria that astronauts ate to sustain themselves on long voyages. I did not sound good, but it did sound healthy (you know because of the word nutritional). Thankfully I stumbled upon a recipe that inspired me to use it and I was instantly hooked. Now I sprinkle it on salads, in my morning scramble, in dips, sauces, smoothies, spreads, casseroles, etc.  High in fiber and B vitamins (needed by humans to live) it is a great way to add flavor to your diet.

Now go forth and find yourself some nutritional yeast. If you've never purchased it before I recommend a trip to your local health food store. Just ask an associate for help. You can also order it online. I like to buy it in bulk. I go through about 1/4- 1/2 lb every couple of months for my family of four.

Here are some old and new ways to get you started with nutritional yeast.

Nutritional Yeast Gravy
Nutritional Yeast Cheese Sauce
Nutritional Yeast Kale Chips
Nutritional Yeast Salad Dressing
Nutritional Yeast Broccoli and Quinoa
Nutritional Yeast Speghetti-os
Nutritional Yeast Alfredo
Nutritional Yeast Popcorn
Nutritional Yeast Crackers
Nutritional Yeast Mac and Cheese
Nutritional Yeast Pesto
Nutritional Yeast Hummus

1 comment:

RunwithSticks said...

My girlfriend struggles with canker sores and uses it on her popcorn! I should give it a go :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...