Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Drive

missoula trip

When we were living in Missoula there was a drive we would take when we needed a break from it all. The drive was just minutes out of town, but meandered along the river and the base of the mountain. We would cross a one lane bridge and suddenly we were just out of town, away from our worries. There probably wasn't anything special to others about this drive, but to us it meant so much.

Sometimes when I was feeling down I would take the drive by myself as I took in the beauty of Montana. Eric and I would often take the road to work through our plans or dreams for the future. When we were worried about the health of loved ones, we'd hop in the car and go to our drive. Often times we didn't even need to say anything, we just knew and the car would steer itself along the road.

It didn't matter what time of year it was. Summer was gorgeous, we'd roll down the windows and breathe in the air. The Fall was stunning, leaves carpeting the roadway like a golden blanket. Winter was soft and we would drive slowly to avoid ice or watch carefully as we navigated fog. It was always beautiful.

When we would finish the drive we would come out onto the highway and head back into town. Whatever we were working on or working through was still there, but somehow that drive always served to give a little perspective.

I wish I could take that drive today, but I am happy just knowing that it is there.

Where do you go when you need a reset?

4 comments:

Anne Jezek said...

There are pecan orchards outside of Las Cruces, they are stunning...cool in the summer from the flooding to water them, comforting and smelling of green chile in the fall, bare and stoic in the winter. I never really enjoyed living in Las Cruces, but those orchards made me happy. They saw many tears of mine, but helped to heal what caused them too. It makes me happy to know that they are there, still in the world, maybe doing the same thing for someone else.

Marie Roxanne said...

haven't found my special place yet, but I know it's out there!

Sarah Spitz said...

There is this impressive and gorges forest, right next to the house I lived in south of Spain.. the forest was dark and you could go as deep as you needed, to spill your worries out, cry or laugh until life made sense again... at the end of the forest, it opens up to the Alhambra. And this definitely gives you a new perspective...

Sarah Purdy said...

I've always found that a nice walk or hike helps clear my head. Maybe we should do the Bridle Trail this weekend? Chin up, chum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...