|Hello, how is your Saturday morning going? Today I wanted to share a recipe from my friend Kate.|
I will use just about any excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, and what better way than to bake it into oatmeal, add a few ripe bananas and round it out with a healthy dose of cinnamon.
I eat my weight in oatmeal every year but only recently discovered the genius idea of baked oatmeal; begging the question, "Why didn't I think of that?"
Turns out the first experiment was a success. The result? A dark, chocolaty oatmeal with just the right amount of sweetness from the ripe bananas and a hint of maple syrup.
Cinnamon adds a robust spice and the instant espresso powder, while not necessary, gives the cocoa powder a kick and offers a welcome caffeine boost (hello morning). I used flax seed instead of egg to bind it together and walnuts for crunch.
Making baked oatmeal couldn't be any easier, just a bit of a mix and pour. The only drawback is that it takes about 45 minutes, so you have to contend with a cup of coffee and the scent of sweet cinnamon and rich cocoa powder while you wait.
And let me tell you, it's worth it. The final result has a chocolate pudding-like flavor that is swoonworthy.
1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c walnuts chopped
2 tsp instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs ground flax
3 ripe bananas, sliced3 cups almond milk (or soy or rice)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13 inch baking dish (or 8x8 if you want a thicker slice) with coconut butter or other non-dairy butter.
2. Combine oats, flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, walnuts, espresso, salt, flax and bananas in a medium bowl.
3. Add milk, vanilla, and maple syrup and stir to combine.
4. Pour into prepared baking dish and pop into the oven for about 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of your dish. It's done when it only jiggles slightly in the middle.
5. Let the oatmeal rest for about 10 minutes or until it has time to set.