There is only ¼ cup of sugar in these muffins, which are sweetened with banana puree. The cocoa powder is just enough to add a little spirit to the batter, and a handful of vegan chocolate chips is perfect for a smile.
Low-Sugar Vegan Fresh Strawberry Cocoa Muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp salt
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup evaporated cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
3 Tbs ground flaxseed + 9 Tbs water
2 cups pureed banana (about three large)
2 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tsp water
⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
¾ cup sliced strawberries
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil your muffin tins or line with cupcake liners and set aside.
Combine flax seed powder with water, stir well and set aside for about 3 minutes.
2. Puree the flax seed with bananas in a blender. Add the oil and vanilla extract and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well with a whisk. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir slowly until combined and you can’t see anymore flour streaks. Don’t overmix or your muffins will be tough and chewy.
4. Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into prepared muffin tray. Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Cool completely and store for up to a week in an airtight container. They will keep in the freezer in a resealable bag for up to a month.