Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Stink Eye to Pink Eye

I was asleep, but then I heard it with my special mom sense. She began rolling in her bed and I knew she would soon stomp down onto the wooden floor. Her stomp too loud, the kind of loud that children make when they are trying to be quiet. Then the pounding of a five year old flat-footing it on hard wood. It was dark and I didn't open my eyes. I just rolled toward where I knew she would be on my side of the bed right next to my face, wanting to ask me if it was OK to get up and start the day. She has been warned to whisper quietly enough that now she doesn't really whisper, it is a strange breathy clicking that I can decipher, mostly because I know she is just asking if she can get up. Only that isn't what she asked, instead it was like something from a bizarre dream.

"Ummm mommy.."
"Yes?"
"Why is there food on my eyes?"
"Food?"
"Um yeah, I picked it off. And can you trim my eyelashes?"

Now the fog began to lift and I just knew. Somehow parents just know. My mind flashed over the shopping cart, the big one with a car that is up top....and then to preschool and some faceless child wiping germy hands on the handrails....PINK EYE. Conjunctivitis. Pretty much the plague.

"Don't touch me. Don't touch anything until we wash your hands."
"Why mommy?"

Ugh, and so I explained pink eye to Cordelia. She had a lot of questions, a lot. She always has a lot of questions and I try my very best to patiently answer them all, because her young mind is so hungry to learn...even before the sun is up and her eye is crusted over. She suggested that she drink lots of water, because that is healthy.

School was called off. A meeting was cancelled. And many hands were washed, again and again.
I called the doctor and he didn't even want us to come to the office, just called in a prescription. So the girls and I went and filled it. We also made a stop for some art supplies....while there Cordelia asked the checkout lady if she was a man or a woman (ahhh).

The silver lining is that pink eye, while crazy contagious, is pretty much a minor annoyance and completely treatable. Happy to live in a day and age where something like this is no big deal. 

Plus, I got to spend the day with my girls.



4 comments:

Kate said...

My husband and daughter get pink eye if you just spell it near them, I swear to Buddha, but my son and I seem to be somewhat immune. We may *get* it, but it's gone within a day, while our other half of the family is still miserable for days after. Alas, alack!

Kate said...

My husband and daughter get pink eye if you just spell it near them, I swear to Buddha, but my son and I seem to be somewhat immune. We may *get* it, but it's gone within a day, while our other half of the family is still miserable for days after. Alas, alack!

affectioknit said...

What a sweet positive story about something so yucky...

~Have a lovely day!

affectioknit said...

What a sweet positive story about something so yucky...

~Have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...