Saturday, December 6, 2014

Vegan Recipe: Rustic Vegan Cabbage Rolls

Hello, moving over another recipe from rootedvegan. This one is a family favorite.

vegan caggabe rolls by rootedvegan.com

 Today is a special recipe kind of day.  My great great grandmother brought this recipe to the US in a harrowing journey smuggled in from the old world. This recipe was a family secret and the only thing she brought with her. Today I share it with you.

Did you buy that?!

What kind of girl do you think I am? I don't know you well enough to share family secret recipes...not that we have any. I DO, however, remember eating a non-vegan version of this while sitting on the living room floor, buried in golden/greenish shag carpet, while watching Star Trek: Next Generation with my family. Fast forward to my vegan life and a new vegan version.

This recipe is fairly easy and sorta rustic, but sooooooooosososososo good.

Pizza dough (I used the dough from this recipe)
2 T olive oil
1 small head of cabbage or 1/2 a medium head of cabbage, cored and chopped into 1-2inch pieces
1 small white onion, chopped
1 package of veggie ground meat (12 oz package, or whatever)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. In a medium/large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage and veggie ground meat. Cook until the cabbage is softened, continue to stir occasionally. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper, stir to combine.

2.Remove from heat. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or two. Preheat the oven too 400F.

3. Now for the assembly. I thought photos would work be helpful.

Grab a handful of dough

vegan caggabe rolls by rootedvegan.com
 
vegan caggabe rolls by rootedvegan.com 




vegan caggabe rolls by rootedvegan.com

 4.Make all of your rolls. Bake for 12-15 minutes and then enjoy!

* A few years ago I discovered that I absolutely love using the rolls to mop up leftover salad dressing, particularly Annie's Goddess dressing. Certainly not necessary though!

vegan caggabe rolls by rootedvegan.com 
Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well, that recipe is a little bit rustic. Grandma Grace started making them when we lived in Southern Minnesota. It is a German recipe and I think she learned it from some of our German friends there. Mom? Who taught you to make these?

Also, I'm pretty sure the garlic was your own little addition. Also, I used to roll the circles out and they looked a lot prettier I suppose. Laziness (I hate cleaning up the mess) led me to use frozen rolls from a bag and stretch them out in my palm. It works and tastes delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...