Thursday, January 8, 2015

Favorite?

paint

Last night I was talking with my students about their favorite works of art. Several of my students chose Edvard Munch's The Scream (click here to see the piece and even read what Munch wrote about it) . Most of my students jokingly related to the intensity of emotion they felt at the start of a new semester and I can certainly relate. All jokes aside though, I feel like people reveal so much about themselves through their likes and dislikes. Books are the same, but for some reason I believe that even more can be learned about a person through their very favorite works of art.

I suppose art professionals have a more difficult time with this matter as we tend to have favorite movements or works from different people, styles, etc. I think I could choose a different favorite work for each day of my life.

How do you feel about art? Do you have a favorite piece? Want me to see if I can read you through the work you choose?


9 comments:

Jeremiah Metzcar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeremiah Metzcar said...

It is difficult to choose 1 favorite, so I will throw out a few of my favorites: Otto Dix-Trench Warfare, Lovis Corinth- The Red Christ, Paul Klee-Twittering Machine, Egon Sciele-Agony, Matthias Grunewald Isenheim Altarpiece I could go on, but will quit for brevity's sake.

Jeremiah Metzcar said...

It is difficult to choose 1 favorite, so I will throw out a few of my favorites: Otto Dix-Trench Warfare, Lovis Corinth- The Red Christ, Paul Klee-Twittering Machine, Egon Sciele-Agony, Matthias Grunewald Isenheim Altarpiece I could go on, but will quit for brevity's sake.

affectioknit said...

Fun! I have a couple of long time favorites...images that I just LOVE to look at:

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
...and...
Dance at Bougival

...kinda different...and kinda the same...

~Have a lovely day!

Sarah Purdy said...

"All Hail Chestnut" by Maria Rose

Maria Rose said...

Jeremiah, WOW. I will just choose your first one, though there is info to be gained from each piece. I do know a bit about you so, of course I have the inside scoop. However, if a student chose a work like Trench Warfare I would assume that they were either knowledgeable about art AND/OR a veteran as veterans often choose combat related art. Also there is some serious commentary about the horrors of war, religion and the power of art as a mirror of society. Ultimately I would say that you are deeply religious and knowledgeable about art and art history.

Maria Rose said...

Affectionkit, I am just going to read off of Sunday Afternoon...
So first off I would say that you have a working knowledge of art history as this isn't a work that the average person knows. If I were to guess a bit more about you I would think that you are a lover of color, which tells me that you are pretty open and warm. Finally this piece is a bit voyeuristic and that leads me to believe that you are the type that can be a bit of an observer by nature---not someone who needs to be the center of attention.

Maria Rose said...

Sarah Purdy, your choice tells me that you have excellent taste and are an amazing friend to anyone lucky enough to be in your orbit. Nailed it!

Victoria said...

Your new calling?..!;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...