Saturday, January 17, 2015

Teaching


When I was younger I imagined that as a professional artist my time would be spent painting in a studio and then having wildly successful shows magically fall into my lap---don't laugh, I legitimately believe that was how it worked.The truth is that a lot of the artist's work doesn't happen in a studio. Most of the artists I know spend a large amount of their time networking, proposing, promoting, lecturing, and teaching. While sometimes it is pretty uncomfortable for me to self-promote I so enjoy the teaching and lecturing aspect of my chosen career. I get to share a love of art  in a hand's on manner with people of varying degrees of experience and ability.


Today I am teaching a class on how to use acrylic inks. I am excited to share a new medium with people. I can't wait to learn from my students as everyone approaches a medium in a different manner. It is going to be a day of art for me as I also have my regular private lessons today as well.


I am so thankful that I have art as a way to connect with others. What is your special talent or talents? Do you share them with others?

4 comments:

Mom said...

Your students are the lucky ones.

EVA said...

I know this is a billion posts late, but I'd LOVE to hear more "how-to's" and experiences being a professional artist; I'm a sophomore at SAIC and this is my last year (I can't afford college anymore!) and am trying to break through as a cartoonist. Any insight or experiences would be rad! And posting more of your art would be even BETTER!

Maria Rose said...

Yes, EVA. I will! Thanks!

Erica Hermosillo said...

I wish you were my art teacher in college! I'm sure they love you. Maybe when my kiddos get bigger, I'll make time to take one of your classes. For me, teaching Spanish has brought hundreds of amazing people into my life and taught me so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...