Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Cooking with Cordelia

Yesterday Cordelia ate lunch at preschool after track and field day. When we made it home I made lunch for Elise and myself.  Cordelia then decided that she was still hungry and I told her she could make a snack for herself. She was really into it and asked if she could make dinner for the family all by herself. I agreed and she spent the rest of the afternoon planning. 

I told her that she needed fruit, veggies, grains and protein. She took it from there.


When it was time to prepare dinner I acted as her sous chef, grabbing items as needed. Together we husked corn and she put me to work boiling the corn while she concentrated on the rest of the meal.


I think you can see that it was...interesting. She had a vision for what she wanted to make. I held my
tongue when she squirted mustard out by the tablespoon.


The completed meal included buns with a slice of vegan deli meat, pickles, vegenaise, lots of ketchup and mustard. She also had corn, watermelon, green olives and frozen (frozen was non-negotiable) blueberries.


I am not gonna lie, it was really really a lot of mustard, but we ate it all with smiles on our faces.


Elise was so impressed. Cordelia was very proud of herself! 


Of course it wasn't really about the strange meal; this was about Cordelia's growing independence. She is learning to make choices on her own, with confidence. She is learning that she is capable.

Yesterday at the track and field day I noticed how much she has grown in the last year. One year ago there were a lot of tears when she didn't win. This year she didn't care who won or if she didn't do something perfectly, she just had fun! We have been noticing this growth in so many ways. When she makes a wrong choice or has an episode of emotional meltdown (hurt feelings or not doing something perfectly are her triggers) she is so much more aware of what went wrong. She will apologize and quickly move on to the next thing. 

I am so proud to watch her grow in self-confidence and self-control. These little moments of growth and independence hit me right in the heart. She is doing it. She is growing and maturing. She is kind and loving. What a gift to learn and grow right along with her.


4 comments:

Anne Mason-Jezek said...

This made me a little misty in the ol' peepers. Can't wait to see you guys and maybe have a mustard sandwich. ;)

Sarah Purdy said...

Great job, Cordy!

Stacy said...

I've been a bit misty today already but this post left me with tears. Yay Cordelia!! Yay dinner! Yay for growth. Awesome all around.

Mom said...

It looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...